Large Scale Central

Items for the "Bucket List"

If you haven’t seen “the Bucket List” with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, you need to borrow it, rent it, or figure out how to watch it online. Its the story of men having dreams and living them out before they die.

Have you got things you want to see, places you want to go, things you want to accomplish? Times passing, you need to get at it. It doesn’t have to be a big thing. You may not accomplish it all, but you might as well slide in to the hole in the ground, screaming, “what a great ride!”. Isn’t that what a model railroad is? Dreams your wanting to build. And isn’t there always the next layout?

So we did a little of the Alaska Railroad. We went basically around Mt. McKinley, Mt Denali or “the Tall One”. Whatever you want to call it. Anyway, it was a great train ride and makes me want to do more.

Another item for the “Bucket List” -

I think I’d like to ride all of the Alaska Railroad. We stopped in Anchorage on our cruise and Roger and I immediately headed for the Alaska Railroad Station and Headquarters. Beautiful, well maintained railroad and buildings. Got talking to the ticket agent and you can ride the whole railroad from Seward to Fairbanks in 2 days. You drive to Anchorage, get on the train early in the morning and head south to Seward. Catch the afternoon train back to Anchorage, stay on our transfer to another train and ride up to Fairbanks. In Fairbanks, you’d have to get a hotel room for the night, because there are no sleepers and then ride south back to Anchorage from Fairbanks the next morning. First class operations, all dome cars and a dinner on every train. Two people, $800 in September with 2017 fairs, not counting food or overnight lodging.

This is a “Flag Stop” Railroad, you’ll share the rails with plywood and canoes. And the next stop may be round the bend, much like our Sudbury/White River trip in Canada many years ago on the RDC’s. So far, I haven’t been able to get any guarentee, they’ll let me have throttle time.

Anyway, consider it for an item to add to your “bucket list”.

Here’s a link to wet your appetite.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

What’s on your bucket list?

At 84, life goes on as usual… I take one day at a time (and the tablets)!..(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

The train ride through the Copper Canyon in Mexico.

John

Ric Golding said:

What’s on your bucket list?

Andy’s (Dads) so I can annoy him severely before he ***…wait… take that back because he probably already has. I meant before the Good Lord calls his number.

hmmm 1. Buy bucket.

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

hmmm 1. Buy bucket.

What kind of bucket?

“What’s on your bucket list?”

Ice and beer(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial.

I want to spend a summer visiting our LSC electronic friends’s railroads, the ones that’ll have me. I’ll need to be retired for that to happen, so none of you need to clean up any time soon for a visit because there is no retirement anywhere in sight.

Got the bucket. Need second bucket.

Top Priority:

Finish restoring our Victorian (i think I’ll still be working on it after I’m six feet under)

Get started on the layout

Visit all the narrow gauge in US

Mark Twain said. “First, kill all the lawyers”. Not sure if it was a bucket list item or just a general suggestion but I am down with it.

Sample Boomer’s BBQ !

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Sample Boomer’s BBQ !

Hehhehehe Sean you might leave my house in a food coma but nobody ever leaves hungry!

John Caughey said:

The train ride through the Copper Canyon in Mexico.

John

Maybe 10 years back you could do the Copper Canyon train in your RV atop TOF cars. Really wanted to do that. It was many thousands of dollars and way to far for me to drive to get on. Was sad when they discontinued it.

So, last night found us in front of the Cheyenne, Wyoming depot. Nice. Its a block off of US30.

How about a bucket list item of traveling US30 from Coast to Coast. Lots of railroad along that piece of concrete and asphalt. US30 is where the Lyndon Diner is at York, Pa.