Large Scale Central

Interesting box car

You guys that model modern stuff need this in your collection.

I think @manimal has done these.

1 Like

I have converted some boxcars to “waffle sides” but that one is special. It’s one of 2 CSX Autonomous Track Assessment Cars (ATAC).
These cars travel in revenue service, measuring track geometry conditions while transiting from origin to destination. It measures gage, profile, crosslevel, warp, and alinement. The ATACs are essentially converted boxcars, with concrete added to increase the weight of the car and the testing quality (110 tons total weight).
The data collected by the cars is sent in near real‐time to a vendor who reviews the data collection; as geometry exceptions are flagged, they flow into CSX’s integrated track inspection system for the tracking of defects, repairs, and remediation, and are corrected in accordance with CSX standards for how a similar exception found by a manned geometry car would be remediated. https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-us/autonomous-track-testing-cars-enhance-safety-across-csx/

I’d like to build one someday.

2 Likes

I wondered why they had “Do not Hump” on them.
Interesting, Dan. Thanks!

Thanks I lot John! :slightly_smiling_face: Now you got me looking at this more and I just ordered a bunch of mini solar cells. I’m thinking I could power some lights and laser diodes under the car. :thinking:

And CMR has the decals!

Cool!
CMR made the decals for my WP&Y Mogul #52 project.
Great company to deal with.

I make my own decals but one limitation is yellow on clear for applying on a dark background. The yellow toner is not opaque enough. Barely visible.

Could you color it in with a yellow sharpie?

or maybe create a stencil and then spray on the lettering

This is my preferred method for larger graphics like the DO NOT HUMP. I could also print yellow on white decal film and cut out each letter but not for all the smaller text which is also yellow.

I don’t believe I have that skill. :slightly_smiling_face: