Large Scale Central

Indoor layout started

http://picasaweb.google.com/Bunky39/Putz?authkey=Gv1sRgCLiL4Lv36qCWjwE#

Here are some pix of the layout I am building in the basement. The platform height is 42 inches, the mainline is almost 100 feet with another 35 feet of sidings. It is small in comparison to an outdoor line but will get me started with an Fn3 road.

Nice start Dave.Looks like you have a nice area going there.

I wish I had a basement :frowning:
It feels great to get some track down.
And you don’t have the weather slowing you down :wink:
Ralph

Very nice layout area!

That’s a good size area. I’d sure recommend getting a ceiling in place before you go much further…

Mr.Hill, Sir! I know you are eager to get cracking, but how about finishing that ceiling first? You’ll be glad you did, trust me! :wink: :slight_smile: And while you’re at it install track light provisions, too.

Given the atrocious weather many parts of the UK have had recently I reckon there are quite a few this side of the Atlantic wishing they had a basement.

I guess both indoor and outdoor railroads are the ‘best of both worlds’ but for many it is probably only a dream.

To insure the home’s utilities remained accessible, the train platform is built to be able to support my weight. The ceiling will eventually be a suspended grid system with removable panels for access. I have the remaining 3/4 of the recreation/bar room to build before the ceiling is installed.

I plan to have the main-line track laid down tomorrow.

The used track I bought was beat up pretty good, but not beyond reconditioning. It just will take some time. The used track is LGB and all the connector plates are scrap (beau-coup holes drilled through them and the screws are broken off) , so I’ll need to get a bunch of rail clamps.

Photo’s and maybe a video of the maiden run soon to follow.