Large Scale Central

In with the New

Disclaimer: I don’t have a pic-sorry, will get one soon-been too busy painting and prepping to move.

Yes, move. I have mentioned it a few times here and there, so there you go. I have torn up all track here at current residence and packed away all Motive power and other stock. We will have a great deal of acreage at our disposal at the new house, and with that comes more all-around maintenance. That means I’m not gonna shoot for the stars to begin with, I’m backing up and plan to create the smallest layout I’ve had yet.

Adjacent to the back porch is a Small raised planter in which I’ll lay track to hold me over till I get ready (if ever) to do something bigger. The inside dimensions are appox: 12’ x 25". Very tight and it may require the bender to break the curves over a bit for clearance, we’ll see. I have plenty of track, crossovers and switches to do just about anything here I want, but have no real idea, outside of a loop what I would like. I can imagine a passing siding and a few switches to move around a bit…any ideas?

Continuous running is the priority and switching secondary.

I plan to run my LGB locos for the small diameter, and Maybe Thomas if I get around to converting to Battery.

The area doesn’t get a great deal of sun outside of the early morning. It does have a few plants there now. Again I’ll try to remember to get a photo or two because post w/o are Boring!

So there you go, Fire Away!

Cale,

Good luck!

Cale you run battery power right?

If so you could do two retrun loops in a bent dog bone set up. Also think about building up as well. with a truss and bridge you could do lots of cool stuff. look at that pizza set up and think outside the box (yes a bad pun). 12 x 25 you could do lots in that area and might even be able to run some bigger stock.

Good luck

Thanks Geoff…

just to clarify…the space is twelve feet long and 25 inches wide…

ok ya that could make it just a tad bit harder.

C. Nelson said:
Thanks Geoff...

just to clarify…the space is twelve feet long and 25 inches wide…

continuous run in that space? - i see only one possibility. use reverse units.

ahhh come on…if Vic can run his trains in a 21" circle, surely I can get something figured out…

Yes Geoff we are Battery Powered.

but don’t forget - Vic even makes his little critters shorter to fit!

C. Nelson said:
ahhh come on....if Vic can run his trains in a 21" circle, surely I can get something figured out...

Yes Geoff we are Battery Powered.

Maybe Victor will chime in and let you know what engines will run a circle that tight.
I do know one thing, your railbender won’t bend a curve that tight.

I guess pictures might help. But to tell the truth, I’m wondering why in the world somebody with 32 acres would limit themselves to a GRR 25 inches wide.
I’m sure you have your reasons, but my advice would be to reconsider the plan. You can go small to reduce upkeep without going micro.
Ralph

that bender will bend track back upon itself in a Very narrow curve, ruined a piece of track trying it one night in the garage…thing is the ties get in the way of each other as you get smaller

C. Nelson said:
that bender will bend track back upon itself in a Very narrow curve, ruined a piece of track trying it one night in the garage...thing is the ties get in the way of each other as you get smaller
Cale, The roller only moves a total of 45mm. I may be wrong, but the smallest I could get was an R1. That was adjusted in all the way. Unless I'm missing something, it will go from straight to R1 and back. Ralph

don’t know the measurement, but Eli and killed that short piece of track one night and it seemed to be more steep than an R1…?

Cal why dont you do a figure 8 either with a bridge or if too much grade then a cross over track. That should give you the most track for a small space.

Shawn, that was my first thought, then came the idea of using some small switches to use as Xovers and maybe a passing siding that could allow 2 different trains to op???>>>>>

Keep the ideas coming!

cale

C. Nelson said:
Shawn, that was my first thought, then came the idea of using some small switches to use as Xovers and maybe a passing siding that could allow 2 different trains to op???>>>>>

Keep the ideas coming!

cale

Thats a good idea. It will give you even more track to play on. What aboout something like alterrain did with his 7/8th layout? Maybe on a smaller scale if it is too wide. He also did a layout for someone that had a decent track plan and was in a small space. I forget what post that was in but he can probably send you a pic.

Just remember Cale, a large outdoor layout obviates the need for usual maintenance of acreage. :lol:

Steve Featherkile said:
Just remember Cale, a large outdoor layout obviates the need for usual maintenance of acreage. :lol:
I absolutely agree, I put in track and landscaping to reduce lawn mowing and in my own way help with the environment.

I put in track, so they won’t plant crops here anymore… :slight_smile:

Andy Clarke said:
I put in track, so they won't plant crops here anymore..... :)
I thought that was what the block walls were for?
Ric Golding said:
Andy Clarke said:
I put in track, so they won't plant crops here anymore..... :)
I thought that was what the block walls were for?
I put the block walls there, so people can become dis-orientated, and fall off them.... :)