Large Scale Central

Illinois Central GP40R

Hope everyone is having a good summer. It’s a little too hot to run trains this week, so I completed another project. Something a little different. :slight_smile:

Shane

3 Likes

Just like Steam …Diesels are only a fad …however I still love them !

Nice looking Death Star Shane!!

i hope there is a video

Nice loco Shane . I like the ordinary look ( that’s the only adjective I can think of now ) of the IC paint scheme . Where I live the old E.J.and E. runs through Plainfield Illinois . The C.N . as you know acquired the “E” and the local that runs through town has been powered lately by 2 Illinois Central SD 70 standard cab engines in the black paint. They seem to always have 8 to 10 tank cars going to a local distillery . I’m glad to see them still around . They are usually real shiny clean too , go figure.

David, has anyone ever told you that you sound just like Rooster. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Thanks Joe. It’s pretty small on this one with the headlight on the nose.

John, I don’t think I’ll do a build video as I didn’t take a whole lot of photos. Hopefully this weekend it will cool down enough to run trains and I can post an action video.

Thanks Mike. Yes, they are very plain, but have a tough look. That’s neat. The SD70’s are pretty common up here too.

Well, after a week of 100+ temps, we had a beautiful 80 yesterday. The new IC unit led the work train fixing sun kinks and rough spots.

I see Rooster has reappeared, and with a period after his name. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Nicely done. I remember IC black Green Diamond GP-40’s would show up at Water Valley on trains 41/42 every so often. Would love to watch them run.

Thanks Ron. I had to look up that old scheme. That is the first time I have seen it.

I hope to add a couple more IC units to my collection as they are a pretty common sight in Edmonton.

Nice work, although I suspect temperatures to be a bit cooler lately.

Thanks Bruce. Yes, we had a good start. While cool, we didn’t get snow until last week. This week it’s been hovering around the melting point. My layout is closed until spring, but I have lots of winter projects to keep me busy indoors.

Hi Shane

Nice work, what was the source of the plow that you used?

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin,

That’s an SD40-2 plow ( USA Trains ) that a previous owner had mounted, and I couldn’t break it loose, so I left it. Normally I get my plows from Miniatures by Eric.

Shane

Hi Shane

That’s helpful Ill see if I can order a couple

Thanks

Colin

Colin,

If you’re going with Eric’s, I cut a 1/4" out of the center to make room for the coupler, I drill drain holes in the bottom to help water and dirt escape, and I mount with epoxy.

The plows are too brittle for power drills, so I carefully drill the holes by hand.

Shane

Hi Shane

Thanks for info on the plows

Colin