Large Scale Central

Hypothetical GP-9 chop nose build ideas

OK so at my club meeting yesterday the subject of allowing a dismal on one’s 1:20.3 layout came up. Well I can only think of one possible option for a diesel. The St Maries River RR GP-9s 101, 102, 103. They are ex Milwaukee Road geeps and the story goes that they were originally high hoods but when STMA bought the they went into the shop for rebuild and upgrades. As a result the nose was chopped and the small dual fans front and back were replaced by single 48"ers. A winterization hatch was put over the rear fans and I have never witnessed them ever being off.

If a guy were to slide over to the dark side does anyone have any idea how to tackle the project using a USA trains GP9. I am sure I could handle the short hood mode easy enough and a winterization hatch. What worries me is the cab front and the bigger fans. Are there detail parts for diesels??? I doubt that this will ever get made so please understand I am just day dreaming and wondering the possibility should I ever come across a donor. I say I wouldn’t make this a rivet counter project so are there other geeps that could be donors that are already short hood.

(this is what I was modeling in HO and still will have a static display of their yard)

I think USAT sells 48" fans as part of the dynamic brake hatch. I sold one to Bob a while back for his SD project. Solves that problem. Next is the cab. All you would need is to make the number boards. The cab is a separate part from the long & short hood.

The bigger question is do you really want to convert the GP 7 (as it’s produced) into a GP9. Chopping the fuel tank per the MILW prototype is also another big detail to attend too…

I have a couple of USAT GP7 models converted to GP9 low nose versions. The first unit I cut up myself and the latter was purchased from someone online that started the project. SP’s last order and or youngest GP9’s were ordered with low noses. Being an SP fan I wanted to go there.

It was pretty straight forward as I recall, I sectioned the long hood. I believe I have some pictures of the model in process, I’ll try and find them.

The model I purchased incomplete had been refitted with a cab from an Aristocrat SD45, with a lowered nose.

Michael

Well you can just make the number boards and be done my friend. The whole front face of the cab is different. Unless on the models there are windows hiding behind that high hood. I am assuming I will have to cut down the hood then scab in a piece on the front of the cab where the windows are and then create the number boards. That’s if I were to use a high hood cab and that those windows aren’t hidden there. Now what I am intrigued by is the use of another cab from another loco. I could see this working.

As for the fuel tanks I would have to fix that also. And I would need at east a donor that has dynamic breaks or by after market.

That’s part of my question.Can you buy such pieces from USA trains or other.

Michael I would definitely like to see pictures if your have them. I will do this project if I stumble on a good donor.

Well I popped onto USA trains website and they have the individual fans for the GP38 which would work to replace the fans. Also in looking at the model GP9 and my GP9 I don’t see the fuel tank being and issue they look the same size including the two air tanks behind the fuel tank. What is different is where the gas cap goes (yes I sad gas cap) The metal is way longer and would need to be trimmed down. I would wan to start with a GP9since it comes with dynamic breaks but if I found a deal on a 7 you can buy an after mark brake so that’s OK also. Now the cabs are all wrong as far as the front windows and number boards but I think I could manage this. I am not looking fora rivet counter just a dang good simulation to play with.

Now If I could just find a donor. While $350 isn’t horrible its way more than I want to spend on a very low priority item.

The bodies on the USA jeeps are the same, the only differences are that you get the dynamic brake grids with the 9 and roof top air tanks with the 7. The louver arrangement on the body is more correct for a 7 but there were variations and changes over the years. Some 7’s had dynamic brakes. If you use the roof mounted air tanks the air tanks below should be removed and the fuel tank lengthened. Larger fuel capacity was the reason for putting the air tanks up top.

Devon,

I wouldn't stress out about which loco you use as a base unit.  The Gp7s also came with dynamic brakes as an option.  Honestly, the primary identifying features are inside the hood (1500hp vs 1750hp).  As for external details, the USAT model only has one mold for the shell and it has the vent louver paterns of a GP7 and the pressed steel handrail stanchions of a GP9 vs cast posts.    

Oh I am not stressed at all. things like the louvers and hand rail stanchions are not at all an issue. I am not gonna be that picky. The only reason I said I would like the 9 is looking at there models like has been mentioned is the dynamic brake. Which I can buy separate if I find a good donor 7 that doesn’t have it. So no sweat there.

Now its a matter of just getting a good deal on a donor. Since this is not at all a priority I can wait. No worries. I have USA trains gp9 and USA gp7 in my eBay saved searches. And will keep my eye open

Devon,

I was thinking about the cab from a GP30 (or GP38) that has the front windows. Parts can be order from USAT. The number is 781-322-6084 for Mike in the parts. If your really interested I can mail you my dynamic brake hatch (less the fan) as I’m modeling a ex NP GP9 that has no dynamic brakes.

The good thing about repainting/rebuilding is that you don’t care about the road name. If you look long enough you can find one for cheap (if on facebook join the G scale buy/sell/trade group).

Sadly no very little detail parts exist for diesels, but I’ve been thinking about 3D printing up parts for my Gp30 project. If I do, I’ll share them with the group.

I was thinking about a GP38 cab too. Great minds think alike, don’t they, Craig.

Devon, if you do this, we can interchange traffic at Bovill. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Another option would be Mark’s 3d printed RS-11 chopnose cab front?

Rockwall Canyon Jeff said:

That would be if you wanted an Alco nose on a EMD product… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Perish the thought!

Problem with the GP38 cab is the angled roof line instead of the round roof line.

Gee Devon, I just happen to know where there is a NP GP-9 sitting in a storage cabinet looking for a new home. And it’s a lot less then the amount you mentioned earlier. P/M me.

Craig, I meant he could use the front face of the “round roof” cab of the RS-11…which probably looks just like a low nose GP9 cab front.

Craig Townsend said:

Rockwall Canyon Jeff said:

That would be if you wanted an Alco nose on a EMD product… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Chuck Inlow said:

Gee Devon, I just happen to know where there is a NP GP-9 sitting in a storage cabinet looking for a new home. And it’s a lot less then the amount you mentioned earlier. P/M me.

Looks like I might have that Geep… I am thinking very seriously about putting a big heavy oak bumper on it and get some model car tires to put on the front of it so I can take it to club meets. Take us to ramming speed… Get your camera ready Chuck.

As for doing the front of the cab…I ain’t afraid…I think I can handle it.

What prevents one from recycling the original cab and hood? It worked for me… I sectioned the number boards, the hood top and removed some form the middle and had a low hood. Took the number boards section and fitted it to the cab. Recreated roof line, added plastic for window frame and finally massaged all some.

GP9's

Cabs, notice the steps need to be reworked too…

GP9 cabs