Large Scale Central

Hudson Derailed

I have always enjoyed climbing aboard the engines at the Science and Tech Museum here in Ottawa particularly the Royal Hudson 2858. Ran across these shots of this engine taken in May 1946 at Renfrew, usually don’t get to see a Royal Hudson from this angle.

Do you know any of the story?

Funny, I cannot see the power pickups on the tender?

Greg

http://www.railways.incanada.net/circle/Wreck%20Details/1946Renfrew.html

Hmm.

My antivirus checker did not like some of the content on that link and would not display the page!

Sorry…it popped up ok on Google…but the URL gives an error. GO…

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4WQIA_en-GBGB554GB554&q=CANADIAN+PACIFIC+RAIL+ACCIDENT+RENFREW+1946

I found the link doesn’t work as well.

if you start here http://www.railways.incanada.net/ and work down to wrecks, 1946 you will find it.

Al P.

I use AVG virus checker and here is what popped up:

Link to HTML/Framer as reported by AVG

Weird that something usually so small as a favicon.ico could have a virus or malware attached.

Interesting, no explanation at that time from the railroad, would be interested to see the results of the investigation referred to in the article.

By the way, because of the embedded space in the url. %20 is what you sometimes get when there was actually a space in the url.

When you post a link with an embedded space, you get the link “broken in half”, and then it turns out that the broken link also looks like a problem to AVG

Copy the link, paste it, remove the %20 and put in a space and type the rest and you have a working link.

this is what you should see: http://www.railways.incanada.net/circle/Wreck Details/1946Renfrew.html

i.e. your url in your address bar should have a space where the %20 is…

Greg

Colin Churcher’s webpage…sunovagun…:wink:

No power pick ups on the tender Greg, but the tender truck chains did their jobs. The trucks are still attached to the tender, for what that worth.

I always wanted the USA trains diecast version… I could actually afford one in this condition!

-Kevin.

Here she is today Kevin … still afford it?

Steve McKenzie said:

Here she is today Kevin … still afford it?

Looks like they musta used a ton of squadron putty on that thing!

-Kevin.

Am I missing something or what? The train ran an open siding switch @ 8 MPH. Why did it topple over? Or did they really go thru a closed switch from the back side ( not from the points)?

If they ran onto a siding, isn’t that fairly normal at 8 MPH? Could the switch angle be to tight for a long engine of that fixed length of the drivers? Something just doesn’t add up to me.

Maybe someone smarter then me could help out a bit?

Edit: Studying the top pic, you can see the siding tracks heading to the top right. So, they had to run into an open siding thru the points.

Whats the confusion ? The pilot truck picked the switch and the drivers followed the pilot into the gravel. Notice the slope of the ballast? it just rolled over and pulled the tender over with it.

This happens frequently to my LIONEL Hudson.

Bill

Look at the second picture, I don’t see a switch. What you see in the top picture must be some extra rail there for repairs.

I don’t see a switch in either picture.

Greg

Its past the switch, look above the ternder in the second pic, there’s a divergent siding.

Those things don’t stop on a dime even on their side.

Bill

In case anyone is interested.

That whole rail line; the Chalk River Subdivision, of the CPR was abandoned over the last few years. Renfrew and all the towns from Ottawa up to Mattawa Ontario, no longer have any railroad presence.

It is sad, because the “Chalk” was a stretch of the original Canadian Pacific, trans-Canada line. This past year or two, we also lost the last part of the CNR Ottawa Valley line. Just a few weeks ago, the last of it was lifted by a rail train, and carted away.

On one of the “Annual, American Invasions of Friends”, we took a tour of the Chalk, going through the town of Renfrew, passing by where the pictured derailment, took place. We also visited the old site of Brent Ontario, where the CN line had a division point.

That was the “After Invasion Tour”, when, as an added feature, we arranged, at great expense, for our guests the experience of living through a small tornado, and visiting the home of the cartoonist, Lynn Johnston, where we “Played” with her husband’s ride on railroad equipment.

See what a lot of you guys missed…and you can’t go back to see it any more.

It just goes to show…if you keep putting off these opportunities, just for the price of a Passport; …

As Steve does point out; the locomotive is in the museum, here in Ottawa, but even it is closed for the next two years, due to major problems with the building, that our federal government put off repairing over the last decade. It is also the home of a preserved Shay, that Bart fell in love with when he visited a number of years ago.

Hey, Fred - I’ve been up to Corbeil, too, along with herself and my cousin Sam and his mrs, to collect some stuff from Rod. The house is just amazing, to say the least, as is the view they have/had, but the railroad was in a different league to anything I’ve ever seen before.

I too love that Shay - at least Duncan DuFresne let me poke around it last time we were all there.

Much-missed, him.

ATB

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Fred’s comments reminded me of these shots I took of the Shay #3 a few years back.