Large Scale Central

How to turn R1 track into straight track

Hi all

Just to inform you that this weekend marked the first commercial operation of the new mobile layout.

I think that looking at these photos I can say that the main objective of all the work reported in this thread has been fully attained.

As an aside, although the Thomas locomotives are battery powered and Revolution controlled, I’ve kept their rail powering capability because it’s easier for the kids to control, since the Revo remote is too complex for them – just flick a DPDT switch to choose between the options.

So, although with little hope of success – taking into account what is usually said about live aluminum rails – I hooked a Bachmann basic set controller to a single point of the circuit and, lo and behold, the locomotives ran flawlessly around all of the layout, without hiccups – and during all weekend. I must note that the pieces of track are simply joined together by the aluminum clips, without using the optional screws supplied with the Aristocraft track.

I can inform you that Thomas trains tend to jump track and lay by their side when entering R1 curves at full speed – that was to be expected but was nevertheless much appreciated by the reckless engineer…

I report no problems on the R5 to R5 reverse curves, even with the longer coaches; however I can also report that the R1 to R1 S curve (hidden in the lower siding) is really a no-no for longer coaches, even dead slow.

Since this weekend was too busy for that, I will finish the technical report on S curves next time.

Happy railroading…

José Morais

Headmaster of the Lapa Furada RR

…winking…

The Kid had a BALL! And loved every minute of it. Lifetime memories are made from moments like this.

And the rivet count was wrong on every car! And the scratches, dings, and nicks on his cars didn’t stop him from hours of high speed training.

I bet that you had to pry the controller out of his sleepy little hands.

Love it!