Large Scale Central

How I make track video

Originally I made my track from aluminum bar and slotted sleepers but when I found a ‘cheap’ source of brass rail 15 years ago, I began making my track by nailing the rail onto treated pine sleepers.

I’ve recently been making 20m of new track to replace some old aluminium-bar track. So I thought I’d make a video to show others how I cut the timber sleepers, fit the nails, attach the brass rail and make the rail joiners. The end of the video also shows some pics of 5 and 11 year old track to show how it ages.

[Youtube]http://youtu.be/egPggh9X16A[/Youtube]

Very nice workmanship. Looks fairly easy and using simple hand tools.

Doc Tom

Wow, nice video.

Just one question, did you actually cut the rock in your video to allow the trains to run or is that concrete?

Greg,

A very good “How To” video. You make it look easy and the final product looks great!

Very cool.

-Kevin.

Very nice. And very simple!

Thanks for sharing that great video.

Terry

Wow. I like your method! Wonder about using brass nails 'stead of steal so they don’t rust, but your rusted screws look like rust isn’t something to worry about.

That was a great video. I really like the way you do it. Simple and looks strong.

Not that anyone asked me, but in my opinion that’s an excellent method for the frugal and the retired to get good track.

Nico Corbo said:

Wow, nice video.

Just one question, did you actually cut the rock in your video to allow the trains to run or is that concrete?

It’s real sandstone. My original work (shown in that video) was all cut by hand with hammer and chisel. Luckily the sandstone is pretty soft - you can actually drive nails into it!

For later work I hired a small electric jackhammer.

I’ve been using eustucheon pins and wire nails for spikes for years too Greg. They’re cheap and you can get them at almost any hardware store. In the past couple of years I had gone to using some proper spikes, but they seem to have to be nailed back in every year, so they are being replaced/reinforced with miniature wood screws and E pins. I’m more interested in reliable operation than a semiscale appearance…

Very cool video, thanks!

Thanks for all your replies fellas.