Large Scale Central

How do you keep ballast, etc, out of switchpoints?

Now that my railroad’s a “go,” I’ve been thinking about roadbed and have decided on decomposed granite which I can buy by the bag or by the truckload at a local landscape supply company. As well as roadbed I’ll use it as ground cover over the entire planter to keep out weeds. Originally I thought that if I just threw the track down on the DG, it would work OK since the area is flat and pretty tamped down. But then I got to wondering if the DG would get into the switch points? So will it? And what should I do? Maybe I ought to lay the track on some base material like Trex, even boards, just to keep it out of the DG. Yes, I know boards will rot, etc. I was just sayin…

BTW, prototypically speaking, real railroads sometimes run on the ground and not on roadbed. While on a fan trip on the Cumbres & Toltec, I was surprised that in the flats outside of Antonito, the track was barely spiked and the ties just kinda laid in the dirt.

Joe Rusz said:

Now that my railroad’s a “go,” I’ve been thinking about roadbed and have decided on decomposed granite which I can buy by the bag or by the truckload at a local landscape supply company. As well as roadbed I’ll use it as ground cover over the entire planter to keep out weeds. Originally I thought that if I just threw the track down on the DG, it would work OK since the area is flat and pretty tamped down. But then I got to wondering if the DG would get into the switch points? So will it? And what should I do? Maybe I ought to lay the track on some base material like Trex, even boards, just to keep it out of the DG.

Yup, it’ll get into the points, and yup, you’ll have to clean them out. which can be cleaned out with a small brush , or a small screwdriver. Won’t matter what you lay it on, dirt and debris will still get into them. And as a weed barrier, DG (or screenings, as it’s refereed to around here) isn’t very good.

I put my switches on a concrete base and don’t ballast around the points. Stuff still gets in them so they need to be cleaned out; especially after a hard rain.

If you’re going to ballast the rest of the track, you might as well ballast the switches as well.

I use my “flanger card” to keep things clean. http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/149/flanger-card

As Jon stated, there is ALWAYS something to clean out, whether you ballast them or not.

My railroad is built on 4-6 inches of crushed granite that has been compacted…sets up pretty strong that a pick is required to dig through it. For ballast I am using the sharp angular gravel used to seal-coat roads around here. Ballast continues to wash away with every rain, and as it is a different color than the granite I am not happy with the spreading “grey” and will switch to granite ballast next year.

I stick a tiny cheap screwdriver into the ground blade first at each switch to clear the switch of errant ballast when needed. Fortunately it is not that often I need to.

(http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/Noble_Dreg/LSC/BNSF_zpsc2eac022.jpg)

I have a weed barrier under the granite…Keeps weeds from growing through…However weeds grow IN the granite but are easily removed (Or Round-up when they get outa hand!).

You can always avoid ballasting the switches and use concrete, piece of roofing shingle or a paver block. Even then the ballast will finds its way in the points eventually. If you want the switches to look like the rest of the track then throw ballast into the switches and clean out. I stick those little blue Aristo Allen keys that come with the track next to each switch. I use them to clean out the points. I don’t really do switching so most times I don’t worry about it.

Shawn, the paver block or something small sounds like a good idea. I thought of carving out underlayer for all of the track, cutting it out of something like that cement-backed board they use in bathroom remodels (I was told not to use Hardibacker Board ‘cause it delaminates). But the thought of trying to carve up cement board sounds like a chore, so using just small pieces of something, or a cement block under just the switches, seems like an easy way to go. As for using DG, that’s what DW and I agreed on, since we’re talkin’ esthetics here. :slight_smile:

Joe Rusz said:

Shawn, the paver block or something small sounds like a good idea. I thought of carving out underlayer for all of the track, cutting it out of something like that cement-backed board they use in bathroom remodels (I was told not to use Hardibacker Board ‘cause it delaminates). But the thought of trying to carve up cement board sounds like a chore, so using just small pieces of something, or a cement block under just the switches, seems like an easy way to go. As for using DG, that’s what DW and I agreed on, since we’re talkin’ esthetics here. :slight_smile:

Joe,

As mentioned above , whatever you do there will be crud in the switches. Rain, wind, etc., will conspire to make you clean them before every running session. The pavers won’t really stop the crud, and they will look like pavers, so why not go for ballast instead?

Two essential tools in my track box were a small paint brush (well used and stiff,) and a spackling trowel - those little things they give you with the spackling in a small pot. The trowel is a great size for pressing down new granite/ballast under the track, or pushing it back where it should be.

Here in the east, we have to re-ballast every spring, as there is an unsolved mystery: where does the bleeping ballast disappear to ? With Rog’s RGSEast we used two or three wheelbarrows of ballast. My own layout, 20’x50’, needed a mere bucket or two.

How to keep “Stuff” out of the switch points…???

Good question, especially for a railroad that operates every Saturday morning, with about 15-20 operators…

Our answer is to NOT USE BALLAST of any kind…but we still get a smaller amount of other crud in the switch points.

one of a few “Standing orders” to all crew members, is:

Check that every switch point-rail is clear and properly thrown, before making any move.

We walk around with our trains, and (As on the real railroads) throw all our switches by hand.

All crews are issued a slot screwdriver, and a parts cleaning brush, for cleaning out the switch points

…oh yes…our roadbed is 2x PT lumber…

We can boast of almost 95% non-derailments due to well layed track on solid maintenence free roadbed.

Junk in the points seems to be the biggest problem with turnouts. if you do not inspect points for trash or force points over you can break brackets. If brackets are sprung and not positive throws, Junk in the points can also be a cause of derailments. It pays to inspect before throwing and if you haven’t run in awhile.

Rick hit it right. I inspect all turnout prior to operating even if I run daily. I use what is call 79 ballast and have very little problems with it washing into the turnout points and boy have we had the rain this year. Yes I do ballast my turnouts so that they can be surfaced along with the rest of the track. Later RJD

My lovely bride keeps chickens and they free range over the part of the RR that is not elevated, so I expect there to be “stuff” in the points. It goes with the territory.

I just keep a small paint brush with me as I go along with the engine. A quick swipe saves a lot of fuss.

I use grey 3/8 gravel for ballast since I find the DG washes away too easily. I also have most of my switches on concrete paver blocks that keep them both out of the dirt and more importantly level. I still find all manner of debri in my switches like dirt, dead bugs, pine needles, bits of leaves etc… Whatever can get in there to foul it up it will. In the spring I go along and pop the little covers off that are found on LGB switches inside the points. I clean them out and give them a squirt of lube. My switches are manual and I follow the train around like Fred Mills does and sometimes I carry a paintbrush a screwdriver and always my high tech device for uncoupling my hook and loops, a popsicle stick. I also clean out the manual switch machines when they become sticky.
Cleaning switches is just part of maintenance.