Large Scale Central

Hit and Miss Engines

We run our D&R Railroad Train trailer at Ozark Steam-O-Rama and Antique Tractor show in Republic Mo. We run trains for 4 days, so I wanted to create another load for Steam show

train display. So I drew up a hit and miss engine similar to the Galloway model, this one is a 2 speed, the outside pulley can be removed to use the smaller pully, to provide more

power but would be slower.

I design the trucks that can be used on short cars, the axels/wheel are set as close together as possible to fit and look better on shorter cars. I make a one piece 8" car or a 2 piece 10"

car. The 2 piece car is easy to glue together, especially if covered with a thin wood skin, or placed in a boxcar setting.

1 Like

wow looks like I cant load pics the same way

well another way works too

I use industrial 2 sided tape to hold the thin wood strips to the 3D printed car,

Beautiful work, Dennis!

I love those old engines, we used to use one on the ranch to pump water when I was a kid.

Thanks Cliff and Rick for your kind Compliments

Dennis

Nice.

One nice summer’s day about ten years ago, we were with some friends at the Roanoke city farmers’ market. I heard the unmistakable sound of hit and miss engines running. We all walked in the direction of the sound. Homestead Creamery was using two large hit and miss engines to churn out ice-cream. Each engine was running two five gallon ice-cream churns. Of course, all of us bought cones. The ice-cream was as fresh as one could get it!

Nice models, David Meashey

Edited to correct grammatical error.

Dennis

Good to see you are still at it. A few years ago I took my niece to see your railroad and we were blown away by it, then you showed us the trailer you had put together that held a large scale railroad and it was mind boggling. The Advance Rumley stean engine (tractor) my grandfather owned is at the Republic sight, it is now owned by Charlie Stark (at least it was when I got to drive it). When I get back there I always go to the sight to see that steam engine.

James

James Kuhns said:

Dennis

Good to see you are still at it. A few years ago I took my niece to see your railroad and we were blown away by it, then you showed us the trailer you had put together that held a large scale railroad and it was mind boggling. The Advance Rumley stean engine (tractor) my grandfather owned is at the Republic sight, it is now owned by Charlie Stark (at least it was when I got to drive it). When I get back there I always go to the sight to see that steam engine.

James

Good to hear from you James, I do remember you stopping by. Yep still at, a lot slower, and do more of this type work. Check out on facebook group if you can the D&R Railroad our new trailer Tom and I built last year. I appreciate your compliments and your comments.

Dennis

David Meashey said:

One nice summer’s day about ten years ago, we were with some friends at the Roanoke city farmers’ market. I heard the unmistakable sound of hit and miss engines running. We all walked in the direction of the sound. Homestead Creamery was using two large hit and miss engines to churn out ice-cream. Each engine was running two five gallon ice-cream churns. Of course, all of us bought cones. The ice-cream was as fresh as one could get it!

Nice models, David Meashey

Edited to correct grammatical error.

David thanks for the compliments, at the Steam show in Republic Mo, there is a Mennonite family that operates 2 hit and miss making ice cream, wow their flavor is so good.