Large Scale Central

Hi Guys ! New(old guy) from Montreal

Glad I found this place.Looks like a nice friendly site to set down some roots for awhile.Cheers ! John.

It is! Welcome!!

Hey John, welcome! Tell us a bit about yourself and your RR/RR plans.

John welcome. You will like it over here. All the guys are great.

John, welcome to the group… :slight_smile:

Bob McCown said:
Hey John, welcome! Tell us a bit about yourself and your RR/RR plans.
Hi Bob ! I have been around modeling and electric trains now since my dad bought me my first one in 1945.Yes that was 65 years ago and I am now soon 71 years young.I am a long retired aviator and I donate my stuff to an aviation museum here in Canada.I have completed 5 static display models so far,a 1/72 scale Victory ship model,four 1/16th scale aircraft models and am now returning to my first love electric RR trains after all these years. I am planning a shelf type layout with a locomotive, RR station and a short run of straight track.I want sound,stream and lighting,the whole nine yards !But I want it all at eye level to help with this old back of mine. Would you know of any pictures of layouts like this or a simple track plan to get me started ? Thank you,Cheers! John.

Good morning and welcome aboard.

welcome here John.
are you planning to interconnect all your dioramas by a trainline?

for a single track shelf line you will need minimum six and a half inches depth for the track, plus space for some models and background.
the part of my layout, that is on shelves, i build 18" deep.

John;

I sent you a note…I’m an old fart too…and was hatched in Montreal…now in Ottawa, just an hour or so away…
We play at operations, but outdoors…
Good that you dropped in here…good group. Stay and play…with humour around here.

Welcome indeed, John, tac here, living in the UK most of the time [:(]

Seems like what floats your boat is called an end-to-end, and unless you intend to have turntable, you’ll be pretty much limited to the smaller locos. That’s no big deal, as there are many small locos that not only look good, but are good haulers, too - the Bachmann Porter is one of the first that comes to mind. Our old pal Dettlef Kormsen has it right, and living where he lives, and doing what he does with what he can lay his paws on, he is a man I listen too very hard.

You’ll find out that there are no prima donna’s here, no stuffed shirts, and no better-than-thou’s - they have all moved on to places where they can all congregate in righteousness. Instead you’ll find a bunch of guys who have done it, and want to advise you how best you can do it - whatever it is. You can bet your life that one or the other of us has done something like YOUR dream, and can share their experience of building it with you.

So put the coffee, haul up a chair, and get ready for some jaw-flappin’.

tac

Welcome aboard John. This is indeed a great place to be.

Welcome John :smiley:

Like all have said…Welcome from us here in Cal. old fat to. Like Bob C. suggested… tell us about you trains… we love to hear newbie ideas and what’ch you doing.

Welcome Aboard, John! Hope you feel welcome and join in the conversations.

Welcome John,

You found the right place!

On that layout, how much space do you have?

Try this out for smaller layouts and shelf layouts. great site with lots of great info and layouts.
http://www.carendt.com/

John,

Using Shawn’s thoughts to try to point you in the right direction, I can come up with a good example of Mr. Richard Smith’s work on the Port Orford Coast Railroad. This would be a little large to be defined as a shelf railroad and yes, it is outside - but I think the pictures will inspire you as they have so many of us. He gets to blushing if you compliment him too much, but his work is a great example. A visit to his railroad is on my short list.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=15411

Hi, John. Come on in, the water’s fine. The guys here are really helpful (at least they’ve helped me a lot).
Steve

Yes John just dive right in here. The folks around here are plenty helpful. Just watch out for the Rooster, he might seem a little off the wall but he is a fine modeller. :slight_smile: Lots of great info and ideas here, with lot’s of support as well.

Welcome John!
:slight_smile:

Thanks for the introduction Randy !

P.S…at 41yrs, I’m one of the kids here …and once again the middle child!
:wink: