Large Scale Central

Hey Babe! Let's Go Back to My Crib and Smoke Some Acrylic

I have a redwood retaining wall along Feather Mountain that is in need of repair/replacement. I decided to change it out to cribbing using…, you guessed it, smoked acrylic.

This shows the new cribbing to be installed. (Shown with the paper still on the acrylic.) When in place, this is what shows with ballast/rock/dirt in between slats.

The cribbing is ~50 feet (1:24 scale) long and made of stacked pieces of smoked acrylic “planks” each ~8-1/2 inches square (1:24 scale).

This shows a top view of the construction. There is no need to reproduce that portion within the hill and the “windows” provide space for the fill to accumulate and stabilize the structure. The rear cross bar centers under the track and weight of the track will provide further support. The three pieces of tube will be replaced by five threaded/nutted rods to keep everything together without the use of any adhesives.

This shows the three pieces used in the construction. The structure is ~12-1/2 feet tall (1:24 scale).

Hahaha!! Great title Todd, best one I’ve seen in a long time!

You’ll have fun peeling the paper! And have lots of little smoked rectangles, which might come in handy sometime, you never know.

Excellent use of the lasered acrylic, all those repeated cuts and layers. And nice structure design, I like your tubing / bolting through the holes. Though the cement will probably hold, belt & suspenders ain’t a bad idea, and it will look cool.

Great work!

Those also look like Mimi Storage Warehouse fronts, you now have a new use for them, are the roll-up doors next.

trainman

I have used the pvc strips that Split Jaw sold for a long time for projects like this. It came in different sizes. Just glued together with plumbing pvc glue. Never have had a failure. That acrylic should last a long time. Too bad split jaw is gone.