Large Scale Central

Hewn log ties

Wow that looks great. Thats how I wanted t do my layout. Maybe one day Ill do that to my outdoor railroad.

While logs were chosen by size, allowances were made for different sizes. Short straw got the lifters job… imagine the shock/vibrations the holder got with each blow of the hammer;

Timber ties were used everywhere, not just in the woods.

John

John in the 3rd photo - is that a winch of some sort on the front of the loco???

Good catch Bob, it sure as heck looks like a capstan winch. If not a winch then that drum looks like it could be a belt drive for something. Man I would like to know what that is and what its for.

Yes those were often added to logging railroads. There should be a single cylinder steam engine powering it.

I like the added foot boards on the other loco.

John

are they really footboards?

even if somebody is standing on it, to me it looks more like weed- or leg cutters.

I expect they were foot boards, there was a practice of having a crew man ride up front to watch the track on some of the rougher roads.

I wouldn’t want to be shortened that way for sure!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

John

Devon Sinsley said:

Locust. A branch fell out of the tree due to heavy snow. I am recycling it. Wife looked at me stupid when i drug it into the garage.

Get used to that Devon. My mom doesn’t do that as much anymore, since she see what I have made out of the “junk” I brought home.

Of course she still doesn’t understand why I take the wheels and couplers off of cars and put new ones on.

Bob Hayes said:

John in the 3rd photo - is that a winch of some sort on the front of the loco???

In the Western logging woods in the early days they were commonly known as “Gypsy engines” , just the winch assembly at first, later the term

referred to the whole locomotive. The winch was mostly used for cross hauling logs to load the cars off a roll way using a series of blocks and

anchor points. This was of course before loaders/cranes/high lead/ect. became common ways of loading.

These gypsy’s winches could be driven from a separate steam engine or from the locos drive system by shifting gears, so to speak. The most

famous example I can think of is the Elk River Mill & Lumber Co. #1 locomotive better known as the “Falk” It’s Gypsy winch is

gear driven from the locomotive system.

Maybe a picture

Later, Rick

Yep Gypsy Winches, my forgetter was working…

John

I hate you guys. Now for sure one of the three planned little loggers for the indoor will have to have a gypsy winch.

So they basically are a capstan winch that was used as an early skidder or loader.

Devon Sinsley said:
I hate you guys. Now for sure one of the three planned little loggers for the indoor will have to have a gypsy winch.

I’d rather have a gypsy wench.

But that’s just me, I’m a Sailor, you Jugheads are a different sort.

Devon Sinsley said:

Aw shucks!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Wench winch … Both have there uses and come in dang handy when you need them but can be damn aggravating when they are being tempermental.

But if you can find a winch that can run a wench well then your damn lucky.

Devon Sinsley said:
Wench winch … Both have there uses and come in dang handy when you need them but can be damn aggravating when they are being tempermental. But if you can find a winch that can run a wench well then your damn lucky.

It all depends on how much you’re willing to pay! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I have seen pressure treated ties that have the marks of hand hewing. you can see the ax marks. there are some ( recycled from standard gauge) on the WW&F. This must have been done even fairly recently. It would certainly be a small business that back wood folks could do to make a little money with little more than muscle power and an ax. they are not as rough looking as Devon’s though but are “squared up.”

Hey mine are squared up. . .(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Actually the hewn ties are supposed to be better the the sawed ties. Supposedly hewn ties have closed grain from the hewing process, where ties ripped on a saw have a more open grain.

Great job Devon, looks just right for your intended purpose.