Large Scale Central

Help me design my simple layout

Hi Joe
True you can blow fuses when things derail or worse cook some wires in your loco.

Building a WYE doesn’t have to be a lot of money. i have one and it is one of my favorite features. I used one Y switch from aristo but the other 2 are LGB 16000’s . you can use your 12000 series.

I’d still build a few bridges. They don’t need to be fancy and you can always recycle them down the road. I have a section that I have been playing with and trying ot figure out what goes where and the track is supported by bricks and bits of wood for now.

When you strt laying track do post photos for us.

Happy RRing

Funny you mention it Todd, but I did fool around laying some track on the ground. I found that there’s enough room to throw in a couple of 5-foot-diameter curved pieces among the 4-footers to take some of the sharpness out of the circle. Then I played with the main and the passing siding, which will pass in front of the station. In most of the drawings at the beginning of this thread, the passing siding is in front of the station and the main is below it. I’m thinking of flopping that so the main passes is front of the station and the passing siding is below it. That way, passengers getting off the train wouldn’t have to cross the tracks. With the passing siding below, I decided to make the other end of it a stub siding (seen at right) and set some industry on the patio next to it. Or I could just make it end at a loading ramp where you could drive a load off a flatcar or something.

At the opposite end of the main and siding, rather than have the tracks follow the same pattern as seen in the photo, I thought about making the other end of the passing siding the main and the main the passing siding, entering through a left hand turnout. If you don’t get it, I’ll try to post a drawing.

Meanwhile, I’m trying to decided where to incorporate the reverse loops that two of you have suggested.

BTW, I’ve gotta lay the track on something solid. The dirt is just to messy when track is placed on it unsupported.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/joerusz915/Tracktryout.jpg)

Hi Joe
It is interesting how the best laid plans on paper can change once you hit the actual ground.
It almost looks like you could fit in the 5’ diameter curves if you ran the main from that lower edge instead of a stub end?
I have spots on my RR where I have a 10’ curve go into a 8’ then exit through another 10’. The real RR’s do it to. I think they call it “super elevation”??? or is that when on a curve the outside rail is higher than the inside?? Anyways It is OK to mix in the different diameter tracks just try to keep it gentle. When a train jerks around it quickly becomes more toy like.

When setting up you track keep in mind overhanging equipment when it goes around a tight curve. You wouldn’t want your favorite loco to smack dead against the fence or a stone.
Also keep in mind height clearance. I have a shay that requires a 9" vertical clearance above the railhead. It would be a bummer to have a bush branch knock your stack off. I had to build all my tunnels and bridges with a 10" clearance.
You could have just one reverse loop at the far end away from your passenger and freight areas.
For a cheap track support. If you live in a area not prone to big frost heaves then you could pound stakes into the ground every 2-3 feet using PT stringers cut to 12"-15" You can screw the track to the tops of these posts then pile your ballast to support the track. I use 3/8 grey stone. It is not exactly to scale but it stays put and looks decent. Some guys dig trenches several inches deep and line it with weed barrier and crushed stone but I think with all those bushes you would hit alot of roots plus you will probably change around your track plan here and there so the trench would be useless.

happy RRing.

Nope…its a ‘spiral easement’…superelevation is where the track is higher on the outside rail than on the inside rail, causeing a train to lean into a turn…

If the fence is in bad shape you might want to do that first.

Joe Rusz said:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/joerusz915/Tracktryout.jpg)

Looks like there will be clearance issues in the curve with the retaining wall. It looks a bit close.
Ralph

Let’s see…

Todd: I’m kinda with you on using different radii and going for wide, although I did have my heart set on having that passing siding where it currently is. Still, having a wider curve is tempting. No problem with frost heave. We’re in a coastal climate so until the Pacific freezes over (Hey, it could happen. I’ve seen them doomsday films), there’ll be no heaving. Of course we got earthquakes…I’m not doing trenches. As it is, I’m not keen on dragging in only a couple of hundred pounds of DG in bags. Maybe stakes will work, although I looked at some Hardiboard I saw being installed and it looked tempting, even though a well-known member of our community said it was crap. No worries about overhanging anything.

Jerry: don’t even mention “fence,” as it sends DW into a budget tizzy. The fence we have prolly needs to be replaced, mostly because the 12 x 12 posts, which are set in concrete and in the ground, are being termited to death. So are some of the baseboards, which is what you see in the photo. Critters have dug openings in them, hence the little bricks, which are also holding up the baseboard. I’m thinking of getting some Trex and putting that in place. Then let them buggers try ta chew through that!

Ralph: In the photo the track appears close to the retaining wall (actually, it’s the planter wall), but that’s just 'cause I was messing around. I’m keenly aware of clearance. And Clarence, whoever he may be.

watching this one with great interest, I really enjoy the small space RR’s! Almost reminds me of the guy with the 7/8 little GRR that had the awesome video with Surfer music in the background

Cale Nelson said:

watching this one with great interest, I really enjoy the small space RR’s! Almost reminds me of the guy with the 7/8 little GRR that had the awesome video with Surfer music in the background

That must have been Pete’s Daisy Beach RR. http://home.cogeco.ca/~daisybeach/ Awesome line.
So Cal how is your layout coming out :wink:

I remember that line, was very sad day when it got pulled up.

Add my name to the list of fans of Vic’s plan…

IS IT DONE YET ???

I like Vic’s plans, too. They are perfect for the dimensionally challenged.

:wink: :slight_smile:

I just looked at Vic’s plan again and noticed that its left end will work as an Inglenook switching puzzle. You could set the puzzle’s track length as desired by placing a barrier such as a brick, at each track limit as measured in car lengths.
This is a very worthwhile bonus feature that I wouldn’t overlook.
It packs plenty of switching interest into a very simple and small space. Both Ron Golding and I set up Inglenooks at shows for the public to operate. For decades now I have made a point of incorporating one in any railroad I build.
Non-railroaders quickly get involved in the puzzle too!
Unfamiliar? Google it!

There are enough puzzles in life as it is, I’d rather run an industrial district that could exist on the prototype.

When I watch(ed) them switch what could be termed an “Inglenook” things went lickety-split even at 2 to 3mph.

I can hardly wait for CN to get portions of what used to be KPR up and running again.

Vic, since you asked, Naw, I got sidetracked with my hobby room project, shown somewhere on LSC. Before that, I was kinda overthinking the whole layout, trying to decide what to lay the track on (I know, you guys gave me some great ideas). Then, since I had a new place to work, I got to working on some of my unfinished buildings, Anyway, time done flewed by and now we’re away. So, the layout is still in its planning stages.

BTW, is there a train show at Pomona this Fall, like last year?

Joe
No the SWGRS has officially been canceled. David posted on Facebook the reasons why. Check out my post in the Events Forum. He mentions trying to organize a show in April. So there may be hope.