Large Scale Central

Help Identifying A Unique Lantern

I have been collecting lanterns for several years along with a good sized library on lighting. I got this one because “I Need This” and am not sure what the extensions are for. They are not pointed so they don’t get pushed into dirt.
It is a Dietz Standard 39.
Obviously they go into something, but what? Can’t find this in any of my reference books or the Dietz catalogue. Somebody here knows what this is for.

Excuse me, I have to go to the doghouse now for getting a large box before Christmas.

2 Likes

Snow or water legs??

Is this the type were the fount is connected to those legs to fill the pot?

i have never seen anything like it, but it could have been a modification made by a crew member for a specific purpose, maybe used as part of a crossing shanty’s tools?

Al P.

Legs are not pointed, so you would not push it into something.

I have a guess. The mighty PRR had many things like lanterns, tools and even push brooms made to their specs. Since you are a lantern collector you might even have a PRR lantern.

If the legs are the correct size to set that lantern into any cars coupler, then that would make that a good ETD for any last car on the line.

Good idea, I had not thought of that. The prongs are about 4 3/4" apart.

Possibly a caboose marker lantern? I’ve asked on a couple RR signal groups I’m on to see if anyone has any ideas.

Guessing since it’s red, it’s used as a MOW red flag marker. The feet are for driving into ballast. Red flags/lights are used to show where MOW crews are working and could either be inside the rail for a hard don’t go past me, or outside the rail for get permission first.

It would be hard to push this in anywhere. The ends of the prongs are flat.
I am leaning towards putting it on the coupler, an ancient EOT device.
Again, this is not in any Dietz catalogue.

That is where my thoughts lay as well …However who is to say that someone didn’t change the globe/shade from clear glass to a red glass ?

I know NOTHING about RR lanterns but I do feel I understand old craftsmanship. Looking at Lou’s original picture in depth I see that the top and bottom escutcheon’s match along with the soldered grid work protecting the shade in the middle. So if it was originally clear glass it (COULD) have been for night fishing along the creek during RR layovers. Don’t forget the RR’s loved to follow the creeks.

Just a thought!
:rooster:

The prongs of track flags are often flat as well.

I saw a recent eBay listing for one like this. They describe it as having a “bracket base”.

Last night someone suggested that this bracket fit on top of a 4x4 post. This makes sense. We used to have 2 Stations along the PRR that were “Flag Stops”, meaning that the train would stop to pick up passengers (maybe mail) if a signal was put out. So this was put on a post instead of someone standing holding it until the next train showed up.
Going to dig up a post to test fit. Will post pictures.

Today’s 4x4 posts are actually 3.5" x 3.5". Back when that lantern was being used, 4x4’s were pretty close to a full 4" x 4". So if it’s a sloppy fit today, the story might still be true.

Also thinking there may have been some hardware on those posts to retain the two legs preventing it from falling off the post.

Lou,
I’m not sure why you are going to “dig up a post for a test fit” as to me it seems like extra work ?

Just measure the inside width between the legs of the lamp?

Shes got some pretty heavy iron legs on her considering the bottom end they are attached to?
Still think it had a clear sconce and was used for night fishing during layovers.

Updates:
Distance between extensions is 4 1/2 ", so it’s too big for a 4x4
Someone mentioned that the lantern is too flimsy to be mounted on a coupler, it just won’t last.

Speculation on the RR signal groups doesnt think it would be pushed into the ballast, given the difficulty of doing that with the wire handle, or with a hot lantern.

But if it were set on the rail then it would span the base of the rail and hold it in place

1 Like

I think we may have a BINGO

1 Like

Still think it had a clear sconce and was used on the railhead for night fishing during layovers.