Large Scale Central

Gritty Creek Bridge Completed!

Finally got around to getting the bridge installed this weekend. The bridge is semi-permanent in case I need to remove it for maintenance on the waterfall. Silicon was used to attach the deck to the abutments:

Silicon really holds very well. We’ll see how well over time. The footings required some thought. Anything hard (i.e. concrete) in the wet enviroment probably wouldn’t have held up. So again, I reached for the silicon. Here’s the leg in place:

Then I liberally applied the silicon:

And then quickly (before the silicon skinned over) applied some smooth pea gravel:

After the stones were put in place, I sprinkled some fines over to fill in the gaps. In retrospect, dry mortar mix might have been a better choice. The effect is okay, I’m not crazy about the way they turned out but I find them acceptable. This was my Gandy Dancer that helped with the installation, (Emma Jo):

Everything was left to cure overnight, then today, the approach track was laid and the first train was run over the bridge:

almost there…

And the crew breathes a sigh of relief:

Here’s the site before:

And after:

Now the track can be completed along the north side of the mountain! Thanks for following the Gritty Creek Bridge installation! John