Large Scale Central

Grade

I think I have a plan for my spring expansion. I plan on using the current layout. Im going to add on from the right side of the layout. I plan on having the tracks cross over then basically followr the outside of the current layout all around until they meet up at the cross-over. (hope that make sence) I will have to incorperate grade for that cross-over. Since it is a logging RR i can get away with a steeper grade. My question is how many feet will it take to reach a 8-10inch height at the cross over. How many feet for a 1% grade and a 3% grade? Im not to good at figure that stuff out. I hate math Also what is the best way to bend aristo 4.5ft track without using a railbender? Here is an overview of my layout. Ther right side is were i plan to have the tracks cross over and then wrape around the layout. If anyone can think of a better idea feel free to post. Thanks

A 4% grade will rise 4 feet in 100 feet. You will need 25 feet to rise about 1 foot for your crossover.
Ralph

2 inches in 100 inches is a 2% grade. 3 inches a 3% grade. So 100 inches is basically a little more than 8 feet. So about 40 feet for 10 inches on a 2% grade. Remember that is top of rail to top of rail, so you got to account for the ties and the bridge structure to allow the one track to pass over the other. If I were you, I would do my very best to keep 10.5 inches of clearance between the top of the rail and the lowest point of anything above it.

For bending without a railbender, I’d pull the screws out of the bottom of the track, draw a curve on a piece of plywood or with chalk on the driveway or basement floor and slowly I would try to create an arch without kinking that track. The rails will no longer end parallel to each other, don’t worry about it, the big guys don’t have the joints end across from each other, either.

Just my experience and their are a lot of people without a lot more experience than me.

…Also what is the best way to bend aristo 4.5ft track without using a railbender?

Basically there isn’t.
It will always try to straighten itself out.
A rail bender will form the curve and hold the radius using its rollers.
You could get away with hand bending aluminum.