Large Scale Central

Grade for Shay

I’m getting ready to lay some track to the location of my mine mill. I will be backing in pushing 4-5 ore cars with my Shay. What kind of grade should it handle?

I have seen the b-mann shay easily handle an 8% grade pulling a few cars. My Dunkirk with the shay trucks pulled 20 cars up a 3% grade on SS track with a little extra weight added-

(http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n214/altterrain/longtrain5.jpg)

-Brian

One Shay, 20 cars and a Caboose up 3 plus percent on the CCRy during lower set out run no sweat! I would say you could have 4 to 5 percent with no problems just make sure you have a very smooth (and long) transition! No sharpe breaks or you will uncouple every time!

Paul

I’d say try to keep it under 7%. If more, you might need to break it into two runs, but that’s “operations”.

I think a smooth 7 percent grade will give me the height I need. I figured that would be the max before wheel spin would be a problem. And from an operations standpoint I like the idea of splitting the train even if I don’t have to.

The worse I have in the basement is a little over 8% on a curve. It is a lead to a two track mine setting. It adds to the “operations nightmare” sometimes, but that is why everything in the basement is set up for geared engines and helper service is sometimes required. The switchbacks have a limited amount of tail track length, so this fits right in with the scenario or operations problem.

There is a track in Orbisonia, Pa on the East Broad Top going up to the Coal Loading Dock. Plenty steep (I’ve never measured the grade), just a couple of cars pushed up there at a time.

Ric Golding said:
[i][/i]There is a track in Orbisonia, Pa on the East Broad Top going up to the Coal Loading Dock. Plenty steep (I've never measured the grade), just a couple of cars pushed up there at a time.
And they worked that with rod engines! I would imaging that they pushed a long sting of hoppers up the grade to reach the dock while keeping the engine on the flat.

There is a picture I’ve seen within the last year of one of the Mikados up near the top of the grade. The only statement was that water was topped up before starting the function to make certian the crown sheet stayed covered.

Now that you remind me I remember hearing about that picture. Never seen it, just heard of it.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/bart_salmons/15coaldock.jpg)

This one?

That’s the one. Thank you, Bart. Jon, now you can say you have seen it.

Yer right. Now that I see it, I remember it - so I think I’ve seen it twice :slight_smile:

Next time I’m out that way, I’ll take my level and get the percentage of that grade. Probably won’t happen until Spring 2010.