Large Scale Central

GP9rm & Slug

Well, after many years of hogging space on my workbench, the GP9 project is getting close. I think I’ll be ordering some RailPro in the next couple of weeks, and will start working on the electrical.

Shane

gp9-7242a

7 Likes

It’s a face only a mother can love!

I LOVE IT !!!

It it is better than that thing LGB puts out, no not the P-42 for all you Amtrak dislikes!

looking good as usual

thanks for sharing

I love seeing a low nose GP9. You have done an excellent job. Need to get back to my pair. I really like the slug. The prototype I am modeling has 3 low nose GP9s. I have what it takes to build two of them as they always ran them in tandem. But I have wanted to make either a slug or more likely a “B” unit for a hypothetical 3rd. Just to spice things up. So I love what you have done here. Right down my alley.

Out of curiosity is the slug powered, a dummy, a battery car? Will you keep them permanently coupled?

Thanks Guys,

Yesterday I added the front number boards, and today I finished the reflective tape on the sides and steps of the GP9 and slug.

The slug will be powered, but I’m not sure if I can fit a battery inside. It may have to steal power from it’s mother just like the real ones. :open_mouth: The GP9 will be able to operate alone.

Shane

1 Like

I’ve made a lot of progress on this project. I ended up pulling the motors out of the slug and it will run as a dummy.

Shane

5 Likes

Yeah , and the bridge above those beautiful units needs some trackage!

Quit slacking Shane!!

I have re-done several LGB engines to my personal taste and turned out very well, don’t understand the LGB crack you made, explain.

I know. :open_mouth: I ordered 15 yards of clay a month ago, and it still hasn’t arrived. I hope I get it before the snow flies. :slight_smile:

Well, I checked with the clay man, and he doesn’t seem to remember talking to me, so I guess I need to find somebody else. :frowning:

I haven’t been totally slacking. I have a bunch of shells stripped waiting for future projects. :open_mouth:

Out of scale for 1/29 cars almost as tall as the 1/29 Superliner cars that the guys in Germany are making, LGB makes some good steam locomotives, but unfortunately the modern equipment I don’t like their trucks and their rubber ruler makes me avoid their stuff, except the 2 flatcars and 1 grain hopper I have

Well, I found another company to deliver clay, saved $200, and had it in two hours. :slight_smile: This should be a big step in getting the upper level up and running.

True Pete, if you are going to model in LGB scale 1:22.5 you are pretty much on your own. I’d love to have some USA Trains, but there 1/29 scale just doesn’t fit with my LGB. Note, I do have some of the USA Trains Wood Reefers and Wood Side Box Cars, they are the same size as the LGB NG Box Cars, Reefers, Stock Cars of their original manufactured cars. At 79 I’m not starting over again, but if I did I would be in 120.3 scale.

Why clay ? What is the benefit for you ?

Clay, defiantly holds water better, packs together and can hold it’s place without much washout, both in most case not too beneficial to a garden railroad, from what I see in most garden railroads by their design. More are rocks and concrete with good growing dirt and mulch and clay can work for a good back filler. Clay when wet can be pretty much muck and takes a long time to dry out. I will say, used correctly can be a good under lament for good growing dirt, etc.

1 Like

I couldn’t say it any better

Packs nice and hard, and helps shed water from elevated areas. Once the base is shaped, I just cover it with a few inches of black dirt. That’s how our natural landscape is around here. I also have gravel channels to help drain water away from the layout. When it hits -30, moisture is not your friend, and can do a lot of damage. I need my roadbed to be as dry as possible. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretty much!
Especially the good ole Pennsyltucky red clay…

https://www.williamsgrove.com/

The old CVRR Dillsburg branch used to run parallel too it. The old roadbed is still there actually.

1 Like

Before tearing things apart for the clay, the GP9rm and slug enjoyed a test run. :slight_smile: