Large Scale Central

Getting the correct spacing for the bridge piers

Little did I know when I decided the “swivel out of the way” Landwasser viaduct was not really practical that just around the corner (actually two) was a better place to build that bridge. It just so happens that the distance from track level to ground at the 180º curve getting to Thusis is a cool 48". The plan view engineering was done, there will be five arches for the bridge. Now came the question: with that height more or less free floating aka whipping in the wind :smiley: how would I reinforce the PVC tubing. I decided on T-posts rammed 24" into the ground, slip the PVC tubing over the T-post and drive it 12" into the ground. When all is nicely lined up fill the tubing with cement. That together with the ladder roadbed should be rock solid. In order to get the correct positions for the T-posts I made up two templates, one with 1500mm center distance between the holes, the other one with 607mm center distance. The T-posts fit snug in the holes and after setting the first post the rest is a simple matter of aligning the two templates one post at a time.

Moving right along

(http:///P1/180_Thusis02_s.jpg)

And the main track at Bergün is more or less staked - minor adjustments will follow. :wink: :slight_smile: Now I have to wait until “Seniors’ Day Tuesday” (10 or 15% off, depending on source) to get more PVC tubing. Lining up the tubes for the station trackage works nicely with that “three holer” template.

(http:///P1/Berguen02_s.jpg)

Back to shoveling and moving Desert stone. :wink:

Nice progress HJ. I like your use of natural stone above the manufactured block wall. That will give a nice natural foreground for pictures.

hans, why dont you follow the greek rules?
i’m sure, you remember the “golden rectangle”.
just lay it on the side. height of the arch =width of the normal rectangle - widtht of the arch = height of the normal, standing rectangle.
mind, that applies to the rounded part only. any straight pillars going further down do not count.
try it out on paper, you will see, it looks good.
and, if it is not about aestetics, but firmness only, forget it! any sideways force (wind, or person), that moves your bridge, will send your cars flying anyhow.

Jon Radder said:
Nice progress HJ. I like your use of natural stone above the manufactured block wall. That will give a nice natural foreground for pictures.
Thanks Jon. ;) That's what I was aiming at. Shooting at a slight angle from the "Thusis pit" should result in some interesting sightlines of different levels of the track as the trains gain height. I've been "harping"on that for some considerable time in the layout design forum, might as well follow my own advice, too. ;) :D

@ Korm,

There will be proper piers for the bridge. The T-post/PVC tube is just the “solid core” and attachment point for the Ladder roadbed.

PS Paper? I use CADrail on a daily basis, gives me the exact points/info on anything I want to design in 2D. The basis for the piers/bridge (semi-pun intended) is a drawing of the proto bridge, I don’t even need to reinvent the wheel. :smiley: :smiley: