Large Scale Central

From the "Everything is a Project" file

The last time it was nice enough to run trains, I tried to do some switching and found that both mainline switches at Indian Hill Junction had issues. The one leading to Bruce’s Mill and the engine house (#6 R) would derail everything on the diverging route and the one leading to Radder’s Mill (built by Ken) and the Walk Landing Transload (#6 L) had a broken throw bar. Friday was nice enough to pull them up for repairs.

Yesterday was rainy and a good day to get them fixed. I started with the #6 R. It had a noticeably bent point rail so I disassembled both point rails. One was good, the other was carefully returned to it’s intended shape. After reassembly testing with a truck didn’t go well. Closer inspection showed that one of the stock rails had a downward bend causing the truck to jump the point rail. A couple of well placed careful blows with a hammer got that straightened out. Once the switch passed the truck test, I flipped it over to fix some electrical continuity issues and add my patented throw bar reinforcement…

Just a small strip of brass with a couple of holes. This will hold up to the pressure of the Bachmann throw. The same fix was applied to the other #6 who’s only issues where the throw bar and continuity. Before closing up shop for the night I touched up the paint with some acrylic browns.

Today, there should have been enough time before the rain came back to get them both placed. I knew I had an issue with the left diverging track being too high for the switch to land flat on the concrete pad. Here is where the Project part comes in!

This is a spot where PVC spline roadbed lands on a shelf of the concrete switch pad. I thought I just needed to excavate enough to push the roadbed back down, but when I gave the track a couple of taps with a hammer, ties began to shatter. So, up comes the track section and back to the shop to replace ties. Before…

And after…

Sharp eyes will notice one broken tie end. I decided that wasn’t enough to replace a whole strip. Once the repaired track was painted, it was back out to the garden to fix the roadbed. More excavation and replacement of a gauge block that had rotted away and I finally got the PVC down where it belongs…

Most of my track is assembled with Aristo joiners with Split Jaws at both ends of every switch. I changed out all of the tiny cap screws for the truss head screws Aristo used underneath to attach ties. I find them much easier to install and remove.

I managed to get the repaired track section and the left switch in before the temperature plummeted and it started to sleet…

Aligning the right switch will be a little challenging. I’ll need to relax all the Split Jaws to allow stuff to move around, The goal will be a straight main line and as little gap as possible at all the diverging routes. Then I need to make sure my lighting power that runs through the track, still reaches all the buildings!

It is supposed to be nice all next week except windy on Monday so I should be able to get the Right switch placed and then even out the spacing on all the joints from Indian Hill Bridge to the mainline connection to the right switch.

1 Like

After big winds yesterday that shoved a neighbors tree over landing in my yard and taking out 15 feet of wire fence, today was a sunny spring like day. I was determined to get the switches all placed and aligned after work. I got that done and was able to run a test train before the 6:00 news!

I shoved several cars up both sidings after having run around the wye. My West leg needs major cross level work,. The track caused one car to roll over which took 4 more with it. That will be the next outdoor project, but I have an outdoor lamp to install first since the parts arrived today.

No issues at all on any of the repaired switches. Here are a couple of shots of the test train…

Today was trace down power issues day. I use my track as a lighting buss, feeding constant 12VDC from a 60 watt supply that is on a timer. Last night a few of the buildings lit up, but not all, so time to find the open circuit.

I use a 12V LED module and a couple of clip leads to confirm lighting power on the track. I found two opens. Once was a misplaced insulated Split Jaw leftover from track power days when I had block switches. That was a easy fix. Well not really, getting a split jaw on already connected track on the ground is a challenge.

With that one fixed I moved on and found an Aristo rail joiner that wasn’t making electrical contact across the joint. It’s been out in the weather and dirt for over 20 years being on the original main. I’m still trying to get the screws out. Came in for a different screwdriver and took a sit down break to write this post. I expect that it can be resolved by removing and re-tightening the joiner. If not, two Split Jaws and a jumper wire will solve it.

It was such a nice day I just had spend more time outside, so I decided to tackle the cross-level problem on the West leg of the wye. I started by excavating all the ballast under the track to a depth of about 2". The track has risen over the years as ballast was added. Now it’s going back where it belongs. As the track rises, concrete structures sink, so where the track enters the concrete at Walk Crossing a vertical curve develops and worsens over time. By excavating, I can get the track pertty close to where it belongs.

The Walk Crossing end after excavation…

At the Indian Hill Junction end I’ve already started putting ballast back with the track dropped down to the level of the switch pad…

That vertical curve at Walk Crossing resulted in a kink at the joint. I should be able to loosen the joiners and push it down flat…

Another nice day on tap tomorrow :smiley:

geez, aren’t you mister industrious. Great job. Weather here is turning and I probably should be out doing the same thing. I don’t have too many issues but really want to comb over the track as the last years club meet I had more issues than I care to admit. I host in June and need to make sure it is in top notch shape this year.