Large Scale Central

Frogs for Aristo wide radius switches

If I have measured right, the frogs are just a smidge smaller than a number 4, so switches built around them should work well for my use in a yard. I haven’t been able to raise anyone at aristo, I keep geeting thrown out of their automatic answering system.

Does anyone know if they have any of the wide radius frogs in stock?

I don’t see that as a surprise. Not after the most recent post by Scott announcing yet another delay in the Revolution TX/RX. I am sure their lines have been lit up like a Christmas tree since the post.

Opinions vary, this is mine.

Bob C.

Awhile back I got some of the Wide radius frogs from Aristocraft, I think they were for #6 switches. It took about 6 months to get them after I orderd them from Aristocraft. They didn’t have any in stock and they had to wait for another shipment to come in.

So Steve, Good luck getting some any time soon. You might want to consider getting some of Switch Crafters nice Brass frogs.

Dan S.

Several years ago I was approached, in an email, by the then president of the company to ship one of my modified wide radius switches to the States so that the engineers could show the makers in China what was required. I assume input was received from other modellers, maybe. The end result was the revised frog moulding fitted to current production wide-radius switches. I was ‘promised’ a little compensation for my efforts, but like a lot of promises made, nothing came of it. I did receive my ‘sample’ switch back so that is some recommpense.

Aristo was giving them away just for the cost of postage. That was before the financial implosion so one assumes nothing is free these days.

I have a bag of the give-aways somewhere. I installed a few and really didn’t see much improvement. Probably because my issue has always been picking the points when running facing point. Steve - if you are only looking for 2 or 3 I can help you out.

Jon - email sent.

OK - Won’t be home ‘till later to read it. Goin’ out with the “Old Lady” to celebrate her 60th :slight_smile:

Jon Radder said:
OK - Won't be home 'till later to read it. Goin' out with the "Old Lady" to celebrate her 60th :)
Were gonna tell her you called her "Old" ! ;)

The frogs are no hell, but…the guardrails are out of gauge…also, you must check your back-to-back wheel gauge…

The Throw bars seem to last a few years then fall apart....

So....we rebuild the Aristo Wide Radius switches before we use them....removing the cast on plastic guard rails, and replacing them with a piece of aluminium rail filed down to sit in proper gauge with the stock rails. We also replace the throw bar with flat brass stock.....this of course won't work with track power, but who cares when Battery R/C is in use...
Oh, Oh....now I've set the flame......!!!

Why would one use a substandard product with a scratchbuilt switch? Now that has me scratching my head!

David Russell said:
Jon Radder said:
OK - Won't be home 'till later to read it. Goin' out with the "Old Lady" to celebrate her 60th :)
Were gonna tell her you called her "Old" ! ;)
No problem. She's 3 months older than I am. I reminder all the time :)

At the time I sent my switch for manufacturer inspection, I also suggested several other improvements needed including the guard rail and checking the wing rail into the stock rail. Another improvement was a simple piece of bent brass shaped to cover the throwbar and limit ingress of rubbish. I found this improved the reliability of my switches. Alas, the company was only interested in the frog as it was the easiest to correct. The designer of the wide-radius was also the designer for the Atlas ‘h.o.’ series of switches. Even the simple Atlas brand switches had more sophistication than the largescale switch. Aristo seemed to be looking to a starter set type switch only and not an engineered switch.

I remember years ago criticising the switch on the manufacturers forum for its simplicity and lack of real engineering design, more suited , like its bigger brother the #6 switch, to a sheletered life indoors and not the rigours of an outdoor life. I was severely lambasted by the ‘inner few’ cronies who saw no evil with anything the company did. Was I proven right???

Tim, Many years ago I bought a wide radius turnout just to check the tolerances.

(http:///F-PIX/AristoWide.jpg)

The reaction was quite similar to what you got. OTOH I fully expected that, since tolerances and standards are a very strange concept for some people. “We don’t need no stinking standards!”

Hey Jon,

Tell Marilyn a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! from us.

Thanks Ric - I did :slight_smile: