Large Scale Central

Freight Shed Tips?

Maybe I missed the instructions, but I find the Freight Shed difficult to manipulate, as all my photos are in random order.

It’s worsened by the fact that the file names all used to start IMG_… I have begun using a topic (e.g. Xmas-IMG_xxx ) which makes it easier to spot them on the list.

Is there a sort option?

Hey Pete
Let me see about adding a reasonable sorting of the files…

This brings up another thing that I’m going through, which is what to do about the freight sheds moving forward to the new site. As it stands, the freight sheds are pretty basic, in light of other file sharing sites out there. The new software that I’m working on for the site has user albums sort of the way Facebook does it. I’m wondering if that isn’t a better solution moving forward. That, or maybe try and build something like an imgur.com clone. That site is amazingly simple to use.

Bob,
I guess that would all depend on what people use their freight sheds for.
The sole purpose for my shed is to house the photos I post here on the forums.
Albums really would serve no purpose, in my case.
Ralph

Albums are good if one has a lot of files to sort out. Thats a nice fechure.
Not sure what facebook is doing.

To bad can’t rename a file in Frt. shed to help on sorting them out, but it would most likly mess up any previous use in other post.
Darn i just found how to rename a file. Now know what the file is. Neat, BoB.

The freight shed already has the capability to make different folders, in which to store the picture… Folders are really no different than albums… So, to me, the freight sheds already have that capabilty…

I should ask how many people use the small popup “My Files” link in the forums and chat? I need to make sure I include that functionality in the new site when it goes live, if people use the feature.

I did notice that the actual freight shed link (not the ‘my files’ link) takes you to a sorted list, which is a little easier to navigate.

As Noel says, renaming to make life easier doesn’t work, as it screws up the post that you used the photo in !

Bob - having been using these sites for years, it occurs to me that having user photos in user folders is actually self-defeating. As soon as the user departs, or runs out of space, perhaps, the older photos get deleted and the thread/post that used them is trashed.
I could make a pretty good case for having a ‘universal’ photo folder that users can put the photos used in their Forum posts, but they can’t remove them, have no ownership of them any more, (and they have no concern about the size of their folder. Maybe sub-folders by username would be more manageable.)

I always use the ‘my files’ popup, as I hadn’t noticed the Freight Sheds link before.

Maybe there should be a prompt on the ‘my files’ link, telling you that the Freight Sheds area is easier to navigate?

Maybe the ‘my files’ link could open the main Freight Shed in a new window? Why does it open a different version anyway?

Pete Thornton said:
I did notice that the actual freight shed link (not the 'my files' link) takes you to a sorted list, which is a little easier to navigate.

As Noel says, renaming to make life easier doesn’t work, as it screws up the post that you used the photo in !

Bob - having been using these sites for years, it occurs to me that having user photos in user folders is actually self-defeating. As soon as the user departs, or runs out of space, perhaps, the older photos get deleted and the thread/post that used them is trashed.
I could make a pretty good case for having a ‘universal’ photo folder that users can put the photos used in their Forum posts, but they can’t remove them, have no ownership of them any more, (and they have no concern about the size of their folder. Maybe sub-folders by username would be more manageable.)

Yea, that’s something Ive been pondering for a while, especially for construction articles. Id really like those images to be “permanent”, but then again, it doesnt allow the user to CHANGE the image for clarity, etc. Its a real nice idea, though.

Pete Thornton said:
I always use the 'my files' popup, as I hadn't noticed the Freight Sheds link before.

Maybe there should be a prompt on the ‘my files’ link, telling you that the Freight Sheds area is easier to navigate?

Maybe the ‘my files’ link could open the main Freight Shed in a new window? Why does it open a different version anyway?

Its mostly a momentum thing. The original My Files was a quick and dirty script I wrote to let chatters upload files. Then I added Freight Sheds because people had asked for a way to upload files for the forums, etc. I modified the My Files script to look into the “Freight Shed” files, so they were consistent. (notice that there is a _forumfiles directory in your freight shed, this is a remnant of that).

The idea of opening the main Freight Shed in a new window is a great one, too. There’s lots of moving parts in getting the new site design, and the Freight Shed area is the last one. I probably should have started with it, instead.

Great input.

I only use the MyFiles pop-up as I don’t have a paid freight shed. I have pretty much unlimited on-line storage where my websites are hosted so I didn’t need the extra space here.

I like the idea of Article photos being stored outside the user’s space, but Bob’s point of preserving photo editing capability is valid. Perhaps there might be a way to allow the author to edit photos for a month or so and then auto-archiving them. I guess that would be complicated with photo links in the article.

I use the pop up as well, sure would be great to have a video upload button.

Nothing stopping you from uploading video Nick. Of course if you want it to play back in the browser you’ll need to convert it to a flash player format before uploading it. Anyway I think that would work - never actually tried it.

Nicholas Savatgy said:
Like Nicky in a way.. Not sure on a upload, but sure would be nice to have a short cut button to show our videos off of u-tube instead of a link to click on. Nicky is like us.. We do a lot of videos.

Bob, the ““myfiles”” stuff never seemed to work for me… Of course, most times. I’m viewing LSC from AOL… I open the freightshed in a different window, click on the picture I want, and copy and the web address from my tool line into the ““post Reply”” block…

I use the My Files pop-up regularly to upload photos to my posts.
Ralph

Quote:
it doesnt allow the user to CHANGE the image for clarity,
No - it makes more work for he Moderator/Owner, who has to make the changes for the user.
Nicholas Savatgy said:
I have no plans to have a video upload button. I had a videos area a few years ago. it was barely used since most people use either youtube or vimeo.

I used the my files link on a regular basis in chat BD