Large Scale Central

For Sale: GE Centercab by CMP (built by Accucraft.)

That engine built for FORD is neat. It has a art deco look and it also has that stream lined grill which is purely aesthetic since how fast did these switchers go? I guess even a work horse can be pretty.

Cale, the LGB 0-4-0 diesel #50 is pretty much the same height and width excluding protrusions.
I believe it is 1:22.5. Smaller than Accucraft’s 1:20.3 model of the same.

Andrew

www.riverraisinmodels.com/libraryData/ge44ton.pdf

Here’s a link to a pdf with measured drawings of the 44-tonner. It shows 33’ 5" over the ends of the couplers, and the frame measures to 28’ and change. The height is shown at 13’ 2", taller than the specs shown on the source I mentioned earlier. (Which puts the scale of the height of the CMP model at 1:25)

Later,

K

There were different 44 ton prototypes produced. They were not all the same. There are different frame lengths and several different cab heights. Some with inset side steps and some with compressor boxes and headlight style. It is difficult to know which prototype the CMP model depicts but it’s trucks are clearly set back like the image of USAF1243 from the end beams more than an inch or so as in the specs.
Maybe they grew a little longer later when they increased the horsepower.

Andrew

http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/troymalecki/wag-1700.jpg
Ford 1006 preserved at northeast pa at the lakeshore railway museum near erie pa

Cale Nelson said:

Matt, do you have an Annie to compare it to? Or an LGB #50? Does the Slate Creek offer Lay-away…

LOL! Cale, you crack me up. I haven’t got an LGB 50, but I do have an Annie, so I might be able to get you a comparison shot. As to lay-away … hmmmm.

As an update/rehash on this …

I talked to someone at Accucraft who you’d all recognize. He took a scale rule and went measuring the one one they’ve got in a glass case …

In 1:20.3, the cab door is 5’9" tall … and the wheels are 26" in diameter. Compared to their narrow gauge Hawaii version Whitcomb, the door is the same height, but the Whitcomb one is wider, and the wheels are 10 (scale) inches larger on the Whiticomb, which is obviously a much smaller locomotive than this one is supposed to be. So, if this is a 1:20.3 model, the prototype is a REALLY small centercab, resembling a 44 tonner carbody (or 60, 80, 90, etc.) but weighing less than the earlier built 45 and lighter engines, and being only just slightly over 7’ wide, with a really small cab with really small windows, to maintain the relative profile of its larger cousins, where normally that kind of height saving seems to be accomplished by a “drop cab” configuration. I have been unable to find any locomotive quite like it.

Oh, and as I expected, they told me that this was a contract piece, made for CMP, to their specifications, and therefore regardless of what it says on the box, it’s not like it was one of their line with a big mistake … they made it to order. Which combined with the imminent disappearing of CMP, means this is confirmed to be an expensive life lesson for me.

Additionally, the person who was suposed to have designed the thing (as per an e-mail from CMP back in 2008 when it was new, and referred to recently in discussions) didn’t actually provide any technical information, only inspiration for the project by building another, similar project. I’m grateful to that fellow too, and all who helped me get the chance to talk with him.

I believe Kevin is correct, and that this model is of a standard gauge locomotive in the 1:24-1:25 neighborhood, and similar to many of the excellent photos found by the various folks who have linked or posted them here.

I am currently working out some possible trade offiers for this engine, and those people will have first dibs … beyond that, I would also accept somewhat less than I paid for it simply because of my position directly above a barrel that I seem to have managed to put myself into … but for the crowd made up of those not specifically 1:20.3 this is a great small diesel, and a unique chance for a piece not everybody has. (Or so I’d tell you if I were following the advice of the official personages I’ve spoken with and simply trying to sell it on e-Bay or similar (“Collector’s Item! Rare! Imported Brass! This week only!”)

At the very least, it’s an interesting large scale story.

Matthew (OV)

Note that in these photos, it’s sitting on the Bachmann 45 tonner frame as narrowed for my 50 ton end-cab project, and is STILL considerably narrower.

The problem is solved. Took a bath on the money … but it’s gone, and I got something I needed.

OK, this is driving me crazy. I have to ask. What is the (OV) ?

Dear Lou,

I think everyone on this board has wondered or asked (posted) the same question.

My first guess, which was wrong, but much more interesting than the real answer:

http://www.locopainter.com/WMSKITS/DSC02513.jpg

Joe Satnik

Original Version

LOL … that’s funny.

Joe and Terry are both right, but not in that order. (!) Way back when the Bachmann board was yellow and the Bach-Man cartoon waved his hat, I posted as “Matthew” (you know, 'cause it’s my name.) After awhile, there were others who posted by that moniker, and to avoid confusion, I added the “OV” for “Original Version” It was originally “TOV” as a nod to a fellow with a similar abbreviation after his name, but there’s no sense being a copycat, so it was quickly reduced to (OV) … and it became a clue to who I was in the various forae over the years that followed.

At some point someone pointed out the flanger OV which, as a narrow gauge guy I really was quite pleased with … and even have one someplace in a box that I hope to build someday, just so there’s an OV on OV’s railroad …

Lately, things are different, and this is really the only forum I venture into anymore … but the OV remains mostly for tradition’s sake now.

Matthew (OV)

I guess your old if you knew what it meant. Yep, I knew.

So what did you get in exchange for the engine? Not the money, that’s your business. But you made it sound like there was something that might be of interest that was involved with the trade.

Huh? Huh? Wanta know?

Well one part of it might interest you … it’s green … it will need re-lettering and new bearings right out of the box … and it has a baggage door, in addition to places to sit.

Oh, and some hardware for #9, the steam engine … So … it’s still a loss, but not the huge one it was. And I’m very glad to have found it.

Matthew (OV)

Green…check

Baggage Door…check

Places for People to sit…check

(http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608046414346455149&pid=15.1)

:wink:

glad you got it worked out…kinda, almost, not really similar thing happed to me over the last few weeks…instead of CMP it was an R51…traded in almost good concise back to dealer for something that would go boom

Matthew (OV) said:

Well one part of it might interest you … it’s green … it will need re-lettering and new bearings right out of the box … and it has a baggage door, in addition to places to sit.

Andrew

The things I miss when I don’t check in regularly!

Nope, and Noooooope. (though Cale was pretty darn close, come to think of it.)

I am now the proud owner of an Accucraft combine. Will be SCRY #409 eventually … for now, i believe it’s got letters for C&S, as that was the only green left available. Oh, and a new valve for #9.

And, I’ve just got some important parts for my Diesel project, so maybe MAYBE we’ll see that advance soon…

Matthew (OV)