Large Scale Central

Foam Viaduct

I’m well along in making a bridge using Bob’s downspout and styrene approach. Might finish it this weekend

Now I’m thinking of making a viaduct for the elevated sections. Right now they are just supported on ladder trackbed. I was thinking maybe of using that 2 inch insulating foamboard and skinning it in concrete. At jim strong’s woodland railway he has buildings and a bridge done that way that are twenty years old and in great shape

Anyone have any experience with that method?

You might think about just using the 2 inch foam board, carving in the blocks, and then using latex paint to cover it and then using your favorite weathering techniques. Once done, spray it with Krylon’s clear matte medium with the UV protection added. Then once a year, re-spray it.

Thanks steve. I was thinking of something like this http://www.gardenmetalmodels.com/viaduct/viaduct.htm

(http://www.gardenmetalmodels.com/images/Viaduct/ECLSTS_Viaduct_01.jpg)

which Garden Metal Models makes, but which i think will be too expensive

Wow, that’s a model, isn’t it?

There is a waterproof latex paint that if you add some sand to, very closely mimics concrete in large scale. I’ll call my friend who is in the club and in the home building business to get the name of the product.

You might try layered 1/8th inch plywood to get that look, if that is what you are going after, sealed on both sides with an marine epoxy. Something like the West System that Ric Golding sells. It takes paint easily.

As you can tell, I have no experience with the concrete method. :stuck_out_tongue:

me neither! I was just very impressed with what I saw at jim’s railroad. maybe kevin will chime in

Check with Bruce. He did a yard office with something called Magic Sculpy. He may be able to give you some ideas.

Steve Featherkile said:
Wow, that's a model, isn't it?

There is a waterproof latex paint that if you add some sand to, very closely mimics concrete in large scale. I’ll call my friend who is in the club and in the home building business to get the name of the product.

You might try layered 1/8th inch plywood to get that look, if that is what you are going after, sealed on both sides with an marine epoxy. Something like the West System that Ric Golding sells. It takes paint easily.

As you can tell, I have no experience with the concrete method. :stuck_out_tongue:

I did that many years ago when first creating the western approach to Fiddle through Pin Oak and Red Bud. Those long spans, one 12 feet and the other 4 feet, lasted about 10 years, without any maintenance. Probably should have done some. Anyway, the two bridges have now both been replaced with steel spans. If I don’t do any maintenance in the next ten years, they’ll just look heavily weathered. All together I have 5 bridges outside 24/7. All made of different thicknesses of metal, but all structurally strong and in different stages of weathering. :wink:

Wow! I’ve never seen that Garden Metals viaduct before, it’s a real beauty! I love the cast-in details.

I made a curved, concrete viaduct for my layout. Built up the form using 1/8" thick luan doorskins and 1x1 strip wood. I put it together upside down on my patio, poured in the cement, added some rebar and let it set. Then dismantled the form and enlisted a neighbor to help me move it up onto the layout. It weighed about 300 pounds so getting it up there and into position was a bear.

I have pics and details here:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR-Concrete_Viaduct.html

Ray thanks for the info–that’s very interesting

I wrote to Garden Metal Models and asked about availability, and they said:

"It looks like Spring next year. Costs not yet established, but promised to be very reasonable :slight_smile: "

I like the look a lot, but I’m not sure what they mean by reasonable

Mike,

Jim’s buildings are blue foam board covered with vinyl concrete patcher and carved. BTW - club members get a discount from Steve
Gugel :wink: .

-Brian

Ray Dunakin said:
Wow! I've never seen that Garden Metals viaduct before, it's a real beauty! I love the cast-in details.

I made a curved, concrete viaduct for my layout. Built up the form using 1/8" thick luan doorskins and 1x1 strip wood. I put it together upside down on my patio, poured in the cement, added some rebar and let it set. Then dismantled the form and enlisted a neighbor to help me move it up onto the layout. It weighed about 300 pounds so getting it up there and into position was a bear.

I have pics and details here:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR-Concrete_Viaduct.html

Ray,
Your viaduct is beautiful. At 300 pounds you don’t need to worry about high winds or animals, as one might with a foam viaduct.
Ralph

Ralph Berg said:
Your viaduct is beautiful. At 300 pounds you don't need to worry about high winds or animals, as one might with a foam viaduct. Ralph
Thanks. My real concern is that it's in an area likely to be bumped into by visitors, or by myself during construction and maintenance of nearby areas. So I needed something that would be rock-solid.