Large Scale Central

Flooding on the CVSRY

Due to extremely heavy rain all trains were annulled on Saturday and the railroad remains shut down beyond Wall Station today. Up to 4 scale feet of rain fell moving large amounts of ballast and piling debris on the track. The MOW crew will have their work cut out for them to get the line open. Luckily there were no wash outs, but several switches are completely packed with silt and debris piles cover the tracks in several locations.

At one time during the heaviest rain, rushing water several scale feet deep was observed over the rails at Walk Crossing. The detention pond located adjacent to WALK filled in a matter of minutes and overflowed creating debris piles. At Indian Hill Junction several of the switches are covered with debris piles several feet high.

All of the problems exist above Indian Hill where the steep grades cause swift water flow along the right of way. Below Indian Hill the railroad fared very well, loosing a little ballast, but the track remains passable. The MOW crew is to be congratulated for their efforts in reinforcing Coal Dump Curve which would wash out regularly in the past. During this storm the curve came through in great shape.

The staff photographer is hiking up Indian Hill now. Hopefully We’ll have some photos later (if he makes it back).

The Kittatinny mountain RR has been getting hit hard as well with storms. Operations have been very limited. So far the track seems to be holding up.
If the CVSR needs a hand the Mountain boys can send a crew up your way.

We’ve had several monsoon type rains over the last few weeks. Layout has held up fine with no problems.
The only debris is from a large Mimosa tree on the layout I cut down yesterday.
I’m going to miss the shade, but it was too close to the septic tank.
Ralph

The staff photographer set out a bit too late. By the time he got up the hill it was too dark for pictures. Maybe tomorrow evening.

Ralph Berg said:
We've had several monsoon type rains over the last few weeks. Layout has held up fine with no problems. The only debris is from a large Mimosa tree on the layout I cut down yesterday. I'm going to miss the shade, but it was too close to the septic tank. Ralph
Most of my problems are from floating mulch, ballast has minimal damage. Track normally has to be clear but have seen water almost has high as the target on an Aristo wide radius switch.

CL - That’s my problem as well. That and Pine Needles. When the railroad floods the needles float untill there is an obstruction, then they pile up. Between the needles and the mulch there are several spots that the rails are covered over with debris piles.

Yep, lost a lot of ballast in a storm a few days back. Hail and torrents of rain made a huge mess. All part of the “fun”.

Jon Radder said:
CL - That's my problem as well. That and Pine Needles. When the railroad floods the needles float untill there is an obstruction, then they pile up. Between the needles and the mulch there are several spots that the rails are covered over with debris piles.
Good excuse to run a plow in the summer ;)
Shawn said:
Jon Radder said:
CL - That's my problem as well. That and Pine Needles. When the railroad floods the needles float until there is an obstruction, then they pile up. Between the needles and the mulch there are several spots that the rails are covered over with debris piles.
Good excuse to run a plow in the summer ;)
I actually did consider that, but with my concrete switch pads, the garden hose set on "pressure wash" does a nice job. And there is the small issue that my trail car for the plow train is down for repair.

We may need to re-think Freds Ash Pit if that’s the case!

David Russell said:
We may need to re-think Freds Ash Pit if that’s the case!

Actually, the tunnel fared very well. Water will not run in as it’s slightly up-grade and the open cut has great drainage along the sides of the concrete roadbed. I got out for pictures and clean-up this evening. Not as bad as I first thought…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Post3/Flood2012-01.JPG)

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Post3/Flood2012-02.JPG)

Picked up what I could by hand and then used the hose to “power wash” the switch pads. Makes fast work of it - We’re ready to re-open :slight_smile:

Hope all survive, but I know you guys are just braggin cause you got some of that wet stuff.

I sure wish we could have sent the rain your way. It came so fast though it probably wouldn’t have helped you either.

The trials and tribulations of empire building! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad there wasn’t too much clean up or damage. I’m beginning to think the original claims of line closure were nothing more than a ploy to get a government grant for disaster relief. :wink:

I’m glad to see the monsoon didn’t hurt too bad.

It’s starting to thunder here so we’ll see what the afternoon brings.