Large Scale Central

Finally -- new pics! In-ko-pah RR

I finally have some new photos posted, beginning with this shot of the west end of the layout:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009006&a=32116967&p=75381531

You can click through the rest of the photos from there, or go here to see the entire album:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=3009006&a=32116967

I’ve made major progress since the last time I posted anything…

1. Completed the west end mountains.
  2. Completed and installed a new plate girder bridge with catwalk and handrails.
  3. Finished the concrete stairs at each end of the layout, and gave them a rock-like texture.
  4. Built a miniature stone retaining wall.
  5. Began excavation of the second canyon.
  6. Built the eighth and last tunnel.

I’ve also included a few pics of my Buddy L 2-6-2 after modifying, detailing, repainting and weathering it. I replaced the diamond stack with a “shotgun” type made from a baster. Detailed the backhead and cab interior. Replaced the headlight with a battery powered LED. Converted the tender from coal to oil. Added an engineered made from a heavily modified Railroad Avenue “Wayne” figure.

Last of all are a couple pics of the LBG Porters that we bought on ebay in December. Eventually I will be repainting and weathering them.

It’s really coming along just great! I know it feels good to see the progress. :slight_smile:

Excellent work Ray! Do you have a track plan you can post? Looks like you will be operating soon. What a creative use for the back slope that would just be sitting there with groundcover.

Regards, Greg

Greg Elmassian said:
Excellent work Ray! Do you have a track plan you can post? Looks like you will be operating soon. What a creative use for the back slope that would just be sitting there with groundcover.

Regards, Greg

Greg, the track plan looks like mine (where do you think I got the idea from), only Rays does not look like it was drawn by someone who had too many Mojitos when he drew it.

I might have to hire Ray to come up here and do my stonework!

The basic trackplan is a long dogbone, folded into a Z shape that overlaps itself. Around this time last year I posted a crude 3D plan for the terrain and track, but these have both changed considerably as the project evolved. I’ll see if I can whip up a new trackplan that is more up to date.

There’s still a lot to be done before I have ready to run. After I finish the second canyon, I have to build and install several bridges and trestles to connect the many tracks that cross it. Most of the lowest level is incomplete and will remain that way until the upper level is finished. Currently, it looks like I’ll have it running by the end of the year.

Tomorrow I’ll be gone most of the day. I’m making a trip out to the desert to pick up another load of “special” rocks which I use to break up the monotony of my “basic” rocks.

Wow. That is QUITE IMPRESSIVE! What’s the max grade? Man, I just can’t imagine moving all that dirt and rock. Very nice.

Since we already live in the desert I just take my Taylor-Dunn electric cart out when I need rocks! The layout is looking great.

So far I’ve managed to keep the maximum grade to about 4%.

Wow Ray! That’s not a mere outdoor railroad; that’s a WPA project. :o :smiley: Very nice work. And in addition to the railroad itself you did a superb job on those stairs.

Here’s an interesting new photo of my layout, taken from the roof of our house:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u=3009006&a=32116967&p=75444363&Sequence=0&res=high

(I had to fix a dryer vent, and discovered the roof provided a great vantage point for viewing the layout!)

Also, in another album I posted four pics from my recent trip to the desert. Nothing railroad-related, just some beautiful scenes beginning with this shot of a horny toad (aka “horned lizard”):

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009006&a=30075449&p=75444382

Enjoy!

Ray,

Got the frog picture, couldn’t view the railroad.

Ric Golding said:
Ray,

Got the frog picture, couldn’t view the railroad.

Me as either, not too as well, also.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Dang, sorry about that. Try this instead:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009006&a=32116967&p=75444363

That gives you the “automatically reduced size” version. To see it full size, you’ll have to click “view at full size” from the list of options to the lower right of the pic.

That’s quite a view. I’ve looked at your pictures in the past but this brings them all together and gives a true picture of what you are really doing. All I can say is “WOW…!”

The railroad is looking great. Is that all rock you brought home or a combination of real rock and rock you created?

Doug Arnold said:
Is that all rock you brought home or a combination of real rock and rock you created?
It's all real rock I brought home. The only places I've tried to simulate rock is on the steps and on the inside of the tunnels.

You’ve been getting plenty of exercise hauling rock!
Keep up the good work!

Ray,

Got the pictures. Your progress is great! Thanks for sharing.