Large Scale Central

Fill 'er up .....

… was the order the last two weeks. All the road crusher is gone and the rocks are in place. Tomorrow I’ll start to even out the mounds and running wire.

That really looks great!

Thanks Ric.

How much road crusher went in? Here’s a “before” picture during the construction

As one of my buddies says about fill of any kind “it seems to disappear”.

HJ, I have 153 yards of fill in my layout. You sure couldn’t tell by looking at the railroad.
When I tell visitors there are nine 17 yard dump truck loads under the tracks, they are amazed.
One yard does not go a long ways, does it.

I was ordering my ballast 3 tons at a time. It sound like a lot for my little railroad, but it does disappear after a while. Must be the crushed limestone fairy carting it off.

JB,

Yep, it’s amazing just how “stuff” seems to get sucked up.

From what I read the 1:1 guys always liked to balance the cuts and the fills. I guess in the garden we just don’t have enough existing hills to cut.

David Maynard said:

I was ordering my ballast 3 tons at a time. It sound like a lot for my little railroad, but it does disappear after a while. Must be the crushed limestone fairy carting it off.

Wait a minute! Didn’t you say you had this small railroad on which you can only run two trains at a time?