Large Scale Central

Figues Durability Test 2019

To be frank, I am shocked at how well these figures held up. I don’t leave anything plastic outside, as I have witnessed our tropical sun destroy my kids’ toys in a year or two. Maybe it is worth a re-think…

Eric

Eric Mueller said:

To be frank, I am shocked at how well these figures held up. I don’t leave anything plastic outside, as I have witnessed our tropical sun destroy my kids’ toys in a year or two. Maybe it is worth a re-think…

Eric

Eric (or I guess you want us to call you Frank now),

I’m amazed at what Florida Sun does to things, as opposed to Midwest Sun. But I also think Sun through moisture (like morning dew) magnifies the heat deterioration tremendously and oxidation. I’m thinking Boomer’s climate is dry and I’m wondering if that is helping in this situation. Reading about the restoration of 4014 in the Trains Special Issue, they spoke of how 4014 was the candidate in the best condition of the surviving “Big Boys”, because of where it was displayed in the dry climate. Some actually had moss growing in the boiler and cylinders.

I also appreciate Boomer’s testing, it really is an impressive example.

Okay you be Frank, I will be Eric…anybody want to be Boomer. You should probably check the job description before signing up.

My experience is the UV is destroying the plastic and resin. Altitude plus the large amount of cloudless sunny days make NM a crucible. I think Franks experience in Hawaii is also the large amount of sun even though he is close to sea level.

I paint my track ties for the UV. Those in this area who do not have paid the price.

I do not know if humidity has anything to do with it. Perhaps someone else can expound on that.

I will do close ups and I hope to have new examples to compare for some of the figures.

Thanks for the interest in this guys.

Eric (the model RR formerly known as Boomer)

Ric Golding said:

Eric (or I guess you want us to call you Frank now),

I’m amazed at what Florida Sun does to things, as opposed to Midwest Sun.

Ric,

Think about that comment while you are basking in the Florida sun wearing your speedo and stockings!

Frank who ?

To all the Franks, Boomers, and Erics:

I think the lesson I have to draw from this is to get a coat of paint on my track ties. For us, the issue is the sun is almost constantly directly overhead all year round, meaning the UV is constant. I imagine that in some ways it mirrors those at altitude who might have shorter or less direct sun exposure but less atmosphere to provide UV shielding.

As for speedo, no, I go traditional. Google “malo.” Then try to un-see it! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Eric / Frank / Boomer / Ric

December 1

r

How will it end??? Stay tuned batfans.

American Eagle charges big $$ for faded jeans when all you need to do is stick them outside.

But they are holy and I don’t church wise

Some actually look better!

Well, maybe 6 years isn’t THAT bad then?

So, I was thinking that this guy

just hadn’t done all that well…but, looking back, I see that I put him out in 2014…6 years ago. So, perhaps, he’s done OK? I mean, not really…so, he’s back lit, but he sure looked better earlier…

He used to have a cap as well…

Time for a repaint…

Folks;

I had a different sort of problem with a pack donkey that may have been out about 8 years. It was lead (perhaps made by an outfit called “Jones Junque”) and painted with enamel paint. It pretty much stayed in the shade of a white pine. Did not fade much, but a squirrel decided to gnaw on the baggage it was carrying. (They have to gnaw on things because their front teeth never stop growing.) I probably poisoned the squirrel - not intentionally - but never thought the critter would pick a lead figure to gnaw on. We also did not have squirrels in our yard before our oak tree started producing acorns. Had to file and reshape the load, then repaint it. Not sure what may have become of the squirrel.

Regards, David Meashey

…and here are the results.

Sorry it took so long. Comparison pictures and comments here:

https://cibolalmrr.com/people/figure-durability-test-2019/

Fascinating, fascinating study! Thanks for the time and expense of running this study. I am going to share it with the crew so they understand why the PLAYMOBIL has to come inside!

ALoha,

Eric

Fascinating, fascinating study! Thanks for the time and expense of running this study. I am going to share it with the crew so they understand why the PLAYMOBIL has to come inside!

ALoha,

Eric

Well done and observations seem to be fully documented. I have already taken advice on the Vallejo paints and your test here substantiates that purchase.

I am sorry that your guinea pigs were subjected to this torturous study and personally would feel much better if I had the comfort of knowing that all subjects were at least offered three meals a day and had as much liquid as each needed for their personal comforts. I’m sure that you also provided the proper medical attention on a case by case need, and though difficult due to the nature of the test, I would hope that restroom facilities were provided. Showers and tooth care allowed and encouraged for maintenance of personal hygiene.

Thank them one and all for their participation for our benefit and I would like to be the first to offer the Kingly sum of $.25 to be placed in a kitty and shared among the group for a job well done.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)