Large Scale Central

Feeling Nostalgic

Okay so I know that in the world of MIK I am but still a new comer. I know many have been doing it for many years before me. I missed the actual MIK days and then the beginning of the Taylor reign. But I was telling a friend (hopefully one who will join us this year) about the challenge. He is a budget scratch builder who is showing some real promise. Anyway it got me looking at all my past projects. Here they are. I hope maybe a few others will do the same. Fun to see how my skills have progressed.

Well, compared to you, Devon, I’m a complete newbie having only done it twice (and sadly am going to miss it again this year).

I can’t see 2018 Jim

Weird. Works for me… [link]

Devon;

More than two decades ago, a friend in our garden railroad club gave each of the other members a “tank car kit.” It was basically a large dowel for the tank, a smaller dowel for the dome, and a chassis minus trucks, couplers, and hardware. It was up to each member to build and finish the car as he/she pleased. It had all the essence of a Mik project. Sadly, both this member and the club are gone now.

I wasted almost fifteen years, stuck because I could not figure out how to do the dome. One day I decided “Why does it NEED a dome anyway?” It could be a primitive wood tank car used to carry water to a logging or mining camp, and just have a hatch for refilling. After that, the car came together in a ridiculously short amount of time. It was kind of my “pre-Mik Mik.” The results are below. The car was sided with wood coffee stir sticks. Finding truly straight sticks in a box of 1,000 wood sticks can be a real challenge.

Best wishes, David Meashey

P.S. Tried to fix the wonky font change, but I am unable to do so.

Thanks for the memories, Devon. Jim, you will surely be missed. I enjoy watching your craftsmanship. Dave, that is a great looking tank car, thanks for sharing.

From Team Mueller:

2018: Pu’u’oma’o Yard Office and Observation Tower

2018: Ka’a wa’aa (Double-hulled Sailing Locomotive) “ka Wahineokalahao” (Lady of the Iron Road)

2020: Mama’s Baker No Ka Oi

We are rigged and ready…bring on MIK 2021!

Eric

I actually like it without a dome Dave.

Team Mueller, you guys are my favorite entrants. I love the team work, family, and the definite kid influence in each project. You told us from the start that this was about the kids and a together project and not dad doing something and letting hte kids glue a part on here and there. It really is fun to watch. And I can’t wait to see if and what OD comes up with this year.

John Caughey

images not available…

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/29067/mik-s-2019-canteen

I do miss John’s wit and humor

Damm I really like that crooked 2 storied rail house/bus/whatever from the 16’ whimsical 2015 Mik.

I offered to buy that from him… wouldn’t sell…

Dave.

John’s use of his syringe vials as raw material for last year’s build was pure genius and a fabulous way to stick it to his relentless pursuer.

Thanks John for posting that. I will admit that choked me up a bit. John and I had a unique relationship

Looking forward to the ChallEngel and really appreciate that Dave does it these days

but always miss emailing with Mike.