Large Scale Central

Extremely close center distance

© Copyright by Reto Sager 2000/07 The famous Alp Grüm curve on the Bernina Line of the Rhaetian Railway has been twinned (sort of). The radius of the inner track is 45m and has been a real hinderance for many years.

© Copyright by Reto Sager 2000/07 How is that for a direct reverse curve? BTW before anyone mentions “Looks like R1!” 45m in 1:22.5 is 2000mm radius. :wink: :slight_smile: :lol:

Remind me to sit on the outboard side of the passenger cars.

What’s the purpose? Just a very tight clearance and desire not to have to resort to something like a gantlet track or single track through that section?

Later,

K

I think its just to widen the turn from 45m to er…48m or so?

I haven’t seen the RhB drawings, yet. But it looks like they swing really close at the apex of the outer curve and as far out as possible towards the turnouts, could be 48 or even 50m radius. The following drawing shows the inner curve as 45m, the outer curve as 50m

The latest concept of the RhB is articulated railcar units instead of the current regime where one or more railcars haul x coaches and freight cars on the Bernina line. Could well be that the curve has been widened in order to accommodate the new equipment. I’ll report back when I know what the case is. Have to catch up on the “Info Retica” employees’ newsletter.

They say there is a prototype for everything.
On a large HO scale layout my friends and I built in the 70’s with code 100 rail, we were able to run O scale euipment on double track stretches by suing the outer rail of one line and the inner rail of the other as we gauged it perfectly to 1-1/4" outside rail edge seperation, instead of on center. Both tracks had to be assigned to the same throttle. It made for some stunning photos of O scale trains running through some mountain scenery.
Obviously the variable seperation in this track is attempting some new technology of variable gauge wheel sets and then splitting the switch.
Just kidding. That really is wierd, obviously not a passing siding. Appreciate seeing this line.