Large Scale Central

Experiments in 3D printing

One of our esteemed members had an extra 3D printer lying around, and made me an offer I couldnt refuse, so I became the proud owner of a Qidi 3d printer. One of the smaller ones, but big enough for what I want to use it for, I think.

Anyway, after a couple test prints of small bits for gaming, I dove into a bigger project, a flatcar load; half of a giant flywheel.

I have 3 out of the 4 parts printed. Each bit takes about 4 1/2 hours.

Hehe…nice…Flywheel for the Titanic?? Kinda looks like a bascule bridge crank that you will need for the floats coming out of the harbor !

I ain’t going there yet as I still like my ghetto modeling. It does look good as a load but now you will need a heavier flat!

Looks like a cool machine, any reason that you got a dual unit, other than the great deal?

The metal frame looks very sturdy:

Welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of 3d printing. Some many more projects to add to your list now :slight_smile:

Greg Elmassian said:

Looks like a cool machine, any reason that you got a dual unit, other than the great deal?

The metal frame looks very sturdy:

Dual unit? It is a single extruder, though they do make a dual that I was eyeing. And, yea, the steel frame is nice. Its nice and sturdy, and relatively quiet compared to other ones that I’ve heard operate. The build plate kind of limits what I can make, though i have plans to make various bits in interlocking pieces.

Next up, probably, will be a test print of the ore chute drawings I got from Cliff. And I’m going to modify my colliery windows that I had printed a few years ago, to make them sturdier, and print them myself.

Fun!

Really nice print, Bob. The bolt and rivet detail are great. This will make an interesting flatcar load.

John R.

Hi Bob,

What Software are you using to Design your 3D Printouts?

If I am going to go through the Mental Effort of learning another Software Package,

what is the easiest Software Package to learn?

I simply want to print a Cab, Boiler, Domes and Smokebox Front.

Are there Software Packages specifically for Model Railroaders with BALDWIN LOCOMOTIVE WORKS Parts already Designed ?

Norman

I use Fusion 360 to do all my drawing in. Then I export it out into the slicer (Qidi Print), which lets me rotate and scale, and add supports.

I guess none of them are “easy” to learn, but I found Fusion 360 less hard than the others. And all that geometry from school that I never though I’d need comes in handy.

Rough and Tumble will have their Otto and Langen unit working this weekend with it’s 14’ flywheel.

https://roughandtumble.org/viewalbum/108

Norman I would search Thingaverse and Shapeways and I am sure there are others. I know someone 3D printed an HO 4-4-0, but I cant seam to find it in my bookmarks right now

Bob McCown said:

Anyway, after a couple test prints of small bits for gaming, I dove into a bigger project, a flatcar load; half of a giant flywheel.

I have 3 out of the 4 parts printed. Each bit takes about 4 1/2 hours.

Bob, before you glue it up, check the orientation. I believe the bolt holes would face down as intended to attach the other half.

-Dan

That’s beautiful Bob!

Your work reminds me that sometime I’d like to make a load like that for the Union Mine in Virginia City NV. The problem was, it was 40 feet in diameter! And I’ve not seen any clear photographic or other evidence on how it was split up for shipment. I’ll guess it was in 1/8 segments though, and probably with lots of cribbing and tie-downs.

Anyway, great job, and very inspirational! Glad you’ve gotten this great tool!

Cliff

Next print test. One of our members will recognize these, I’m sure.

Bob McCown said:

Cliff would know…

Aw, cool!!!

Cliff Jennings said:

Aw, cool!!!

Thought you would enjoy that. This was a test print at low-resolution to get the layout and orientation of the parts correct. Once Im happy with them, Ill change to brown filament and print them at high resolution.

Awesome, thanks!

Your low-res prints came out better than the ones on my printer, so I’m looking forward to seeing your hi-res versions.

[edit] Bob, If you’d like me to post any pics of the assembly, with brass bits, just say the woid.

FWIW, referring to your big flywheel Bob, I was incorrect. It was only a 36’ flywheel (not 40’) that the Union mine had in VC. This was for the pump (not the hoist).

The foundations for this baby are still really impressive.

I don’t know how they got it there. They probably made the wheel not far from there, but still, hauling pieces of a 104-ton wheel ain’t easy. And to Rooster’s earlier point, on what kind of flat car? I’m guessing each of those spokes shipped separately, and the hub was split into sections.

Dang, I’m derailing, sorry!

Press on, Bob! it’s wonderful you’re getting into the 3D printing gig and are doing so much so quickly!

Bob McCown said:

Wow, nice. I could use a set or 3 my mine has 3 ore bins around the mountain.

Cliff Jennings said:

FWIW, referring to your big flywheel Bob, I was incorrect. It was only a 36’ flywheel (not 40’) that the Union mine had in VC. This was for the pump (not the hoist).

The foundations for this baby are still really impressive.

I don’t know how they got it there. They probably made the wheel not far from there, but still, hauling pieces of a 104-ton wheel ain’t easy. And to Rooster’s earlier point, on what kind of flat car? I’m guessing each of those spokes shipped separately, and the hub was split into sections.

Dang, I’m derailing, sorry!

Press on, Bob! it’s wonderful you’re getting into the 3D printing gig and are doing so much so quickly!

From the picture it looks like the spokes are pressed into the ring, and part of the hub is attached to each spoke. Interesting design.

As far as speed getting things to print, I have, literally, been collecting and designing things to print (and cut, should I ever get a laser cutter) for years. It was mostly “Where did I put that?” once I had the printer set up on my desk.