Large Scale Central

Expensive derailment

A train hauling six brand new 737 fuselages derailed in Montana, with 3 of them ending up at least partially in the river:

OOPS… Southwest Airlines, your next delivery will be delayed.

Or… Seattle, we have a problem!

Gee, now there is something you don’t see everyday.

Are those 86 ft flat cars?

They look a lot bigger than that or is it

just my flat eyeballs?

BILL

28 to 41 meters is the length of a 737 fuselage, depending on the model.

thats about 92 to 131 feet, so I do not think even the original ones would fit on a 86 foot flat.

Bill, it seems your eyes are still round !!!

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

28 to 41 meters is the length of a 737 fuselage, depending on the model.

thats about 92 to 131 feet, so I do not think even the original ones would fit on a 86 foot flat.

Bill, it seems your eyes are still round !!!

Greg

There was an article in TRAINS mag recently how they ship these bodies. I’ll have to check which issue it was, but they overlap between the specialized flat cars, that much I remember off hand.

Yikes! - Film at eleven - http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Train-derails-in-western-Montana-3-cars-in-river-265898791.html?tab=video&c=y

OK TRAINS May 2014 page 48 and 49.

Specially modified 89 ft flatcars (special frame at the nose end to protect the wide load), tail section overhangs to the next 89 ft flat which may or may not carry a container with aircraft parts.

So each fuselage requires two of the 89 ft flat cars. BNSF has 99 of these flatcars.

No tail sections on the three that went down the embankment.

You can see from the pictures.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

No tail sections on the three that went down the embankment.

You can see from the pictures.

Greg

To me “Tail section” is always the opposite end to the cockpit, if it’s the finished, complete plane or just the fuselage. I’m not that versed in aeronautical terms, but I read that they need two 89 ft flat cars for each of these rumps. (http://rhb-grischun.ca/phpBB3/images/smilies/3.gif)

Boy you guys are really late to the party! I knew about this a few hours after it happened on the 4th!

To clear up/clarify some statements from someone who’s worked around these fuselages both spotting/pulling at Boeing and switching…

Two 89’ flats. One is an idler car that is either a regular 89’ flat, or a modified 89’ flat that has a covered box in the back that additional stuff is in. The first 89’ flat ‘carries’ the weight of the fuselage, connected just under the wing spar (one under each wing spar), and a third under the nose. They get shipped as a whole fuselage from nose to tail (no wings, or tail attached as that is done at Renton). Generally they are on regular manifest KCK (Kansas City) to PAS (Pasco), or INB (Interbay/Seattle) trains. Occasionally BNSF will run a special J train (oversized load train) that is just Boeing cars, with parts for both the Everett and Renton Plants. The cars are guaranteed to make it from KCK to Renton in under 72 hours (I believe). Just in time delivery results by a specific time each day. If the local switcher doesn’t have the cars the day before than a special switch is called just for the Boeing Plant.

Since I’m sure none of you have seen pictures prior, here’s some photos of what they normally look like. Oh and these barely fit through the Cascade Tunnel… 6mph speed restriction at a couple of different spots inside the tunnel. These cars are the only Hi-Wide loads that are given pre-authorized HI-Wide clearance from KCK to INB. Windows/doors are sealed up, and the wing spar has a special plastic insert that keeps everything out. Every once in a while the 737’s will get hit by ‘friendly fire’ aka bullets from people shooting at them. High value loads, I’d estimate at $30-40 million each! The Boeing cars are kept in INB under that watchful eye of the Yardmaster (held on track 21 or 22 that is the first track closest to the YM tower!).

Why MRL tracks? MRL leases the old NP ROW from BNSF from roughly Sandpoint, ID, to Billings, MT and the Boeing cars are cleared on this route. It’s BNSF train running on MRL tracks, so I believe that BNSF/Boeing have a haulage agreement (and I would guess insurance agreement as well). It’s been hot (90+) here in Montana the last few days, so the possibility of a sun kink as the cause of the derailment might be likely. I’m sure we will know when the NTSB report comes out in 3+ years… Want to check back than? :wink:

Note that the 737’s in the pictures of the derailment are only a few of the Boeing cars involved. More cars that are carrying parts for the Everett Plant are still up on the ROW. I would guess either 747 or 777 parts, also in Hi-Wide cars.

I should add that the Renton plant is on my list of desired industries to model in the future… Anyone know of any large scale models of 737’s? :wink:

Here’s more pictures from a super secret FB page called “Northwest Railfans”

Here’s some more pictures that are being passed around. The ROW ones are most likely from employees on site.

(https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10443497_695164823853501_6213391286646842919_n.jpg)

Oh sh**! That looks more expensive every time there are additional pictures. I hope someone will take shots when the retrieve the remnants from the river. That embankment looks pretty steep.

How do we track the body numbers of these?

I’d like to know so I WON’T get on one!

I blame Bart for the derailment and Boomer could be correct on his analysis

Here’s a “B” roll video.

http://youtu.be/dVF3b3SV-fc

I’m guessing that the airframes will all be scrapped.

Here’s an interesting link to a aviation forum about the derailment. Interesting views from the aviation foamers. :stuck_out_tongue: And the aviation foamers have figured out the airframe numbers, and are guessing on who the airframes were supposed to go to!

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6117941/#menu102

Two of the three fuselages are out of the water.

Here’s more “B” roll footage from the Missoulian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HcjKEezWZLA

Looks like four or five Sidewinders did the job pulling the cars back up.

Lots of creases and cracks I didn’t see at first, I think they have better chances becoming Oscar Meyer Wiener Mobiles than ever fly…

I’m curious how they turn the loads at the top.

Thanks for the pics and links.

John

I hope there were inshured ?