Large Scale Central

Expansion on the J&B RR

Since I finished my Oates Furniture building, I’ve been having second thoughts about putting it in the planned location. Originally, this side was supposed to face the track.

But, if I do that, I won’t be able to see the front of the building.

So, I started thinking. The original location was planned to be right next to the tiny white station at the far left of this picture (barely visible on the elevated section.)

I’m thinking of laying in a long spur track that would run behind the “town”. The front of the building would face towards the street, but the back would still be visible when switching. I haven’t decided exactly where it would be placed on the spur. The spur would also offer other industry possibilities. :smiley: The spur would actually come off the switching lead into Green Springs, my small yard. I would just need a left hand switch, which I already have. The kicker is that I would need a crossing. I’m not sure I want to make one, but that is a possibility - I’m just not sure that anyone makes a 30 degree crossing in code 250.

Im pondering a crossing myself, and I was just going to cheat and solder all the rail to a thin brass plate. Battery power, so I dont have to worry about shorting it out.

I’m sure Bruce at Switch Crafters would make you a 30 degree crossing.

To avoid a crossing could you come in behind the town from the other direction? For the life of me, I can’t remember if that part is raised or not.

Yes, the other end is elevated as well. I would have to cross the stone path, and I’m reluctant to do that.

How about this one then…coming off the siding at Occaquan to a switchback arrangement…

(http://rgsgardenrailroad.com/Img_9284a.jpg)

To my way of thinking, having the siding coming out of Green Springs seems like a long way to go to get to where ya want to go. On the other hand, the switch back would add to the switching in Occaquan…but that’s just my opinion…:wink:

He’d need to add a runaround, too, just for fun.

The yard in Occaquan has a run around, but another one down there would be neat too…then again it’s not my labor going into it…:wink:

That’s a nifty idea, Ken. But, I’d need more track. I think I have enough to do this with the crossing. Bruce at Switchcrafters said he could probably do one, since I’m not track power. Waiting to see the cost.

I know it’s a long run, but that might be the fun of it. I’m thinking just a long spur with no run around, perhaps another industry there as well, so a car could be in the way when you’re switching…

Dear Bruce,

You said:

“I’m just not sure that anyone makes a 30 degree crossing in code 250.”

Is there such thing as 0.332" to 0.250" transition joiners?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Joe, I think there are some joiners like that, but I’m never too sure of the quality of the other crossings in 332. :wink: I’m hoping Switchcrafters can come through for me. I did put the building out. Now the church and school look even tinier. Three stories makes for a tall building outside.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Layout/2011/IMG_9286.JPG)

Of course that just means new building prospects! I will keep the siding where the building was supposed to go, but I’m now thinking that I will just build something simple, like a loading dock. That way I don’t have to worry about a “good” side not being seen. :wink:

Now you have to find a new home for the school and church. :lol:

Joe Satnik said:
Dear Bruce,

You said:

“I’m just not sure that anyone makes a 30 degree crossing in code 250.”

Is there such thing as 0.332" to 0.250" transition joiners?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Llagas Creek has what they call “railblenders” that transition from 332 to 250 and I believe also from 250 to 215.

Joe:

Micro Engineering Company has plastic code 250 to code 332 joiners. See Part Number 26-006. Also plastic code 250 to code 215 joiners: P/N 26-007.

Hillman Railclamps has bolt on brass code 250 to code 332 clamps. Part Number is 250-09 250/332.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

That is a good looking building. Did you make your own windows? I need to make a number of six pane windows for the mill I’m going to build this year.

Doug, I made the ones on the front of the building. The rest were left over from the old Miracle Chair company and were made by Grandt Line.

I’m going to need nearly 30 of them. Maybe they’ll give me a quantity discount!

Good luck finding that many. That is one of the reasons I started building my own…I could never find anybody that had more than 2 Grandt Line windows in stock…

Doug, call arnie’s in Westminster. See if they will order for you. They give a 10% discount on the plastic I order from them.

I’ve had good luck finding Grandt stuff in stock here http://www.blueridgehobbies.com/