Large Scale Central

Expanding the RR

Getting ready to expand the Taos and Chili Dust RR. Started looking at new brass rack prices and noted that USA track is considerably cheaper the Aristo’s. Is anyone using USA track and had good or bad experience with it? I’m starting construction of a 12’-16’ train house and a loop to access it, and later this summer starting on an elevated layout. My knees don’t like crawling around on the ground much anymore. I’ve noted many good ideas on the site this winter, and think elevating a layout is doable if I can avoid a second mortgage for track!

They Rich, remember that January and February is the annaul track sale at Aristo-Craft. Buy four boxes of track and recieve the Fifth box for free with the cost of shipping.

Let me know what you’re looking at I’m an Aristo-Craft dealer.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I’ll look at that.

Rich Niemeyer said:
...My knees don't like crawling around on the ground much anymore...and think elevating a layout is doable if I can avoid a second mortgage for track!
Do it if you possibly can! If the knees are troubling you now, it'll only get worse as time goes on. Eventually you'll decide it's worth the second mortgage...

In case you’re wondering, I’m a BIG fan of elevating the railroad. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Steve

Haven’t heard from anyone that is using the USA track. Is it equivalent to Aristo or of lesser or better quality?

Rich- This may not exactly answer your question but, have you considered AML track? I’ve been using both Aristocraft and AML track for a couple of years and I don’t see any difference in quality at all. I run track power and haven’t noticed any problems with either brand. There is a bit of difference in appearance- Aristo has black ties and AML has brown. The actual color of the brass is also slightly different (not a big deal). The price on AML is usually better, too. Hope this helps.

-Kevin.

I too have been using AML with good results…I like the price! (the ‘stock’ rail connectors are worthless but their rail-joiners are economical).

Rich,

USA is the same as Aristo.

I agree with Kevin and Mark, AML seems to be pritty good track .

We built this layout with it last year.

Nick

http://youtu.be/YQAOVUBK5BY

Well, I’ll be the fourth to praise AML track. Good stuff.

I have some USA track down and it’s very similar to the Aristo. Matches up just fine. Too soon to tell if there is any difference in longevity.

Steve

The various manufacturers use slightly different metalurgy so they don’t end up in court like Lionel and MTH did a few years ago, and Aristocraft and LGB did a long time ago, but they are essentially the same, as long as we are talking about code 332 and solid brass. All of the ties are UV resistant. Note that I wrote RESISTANT, not PROOF. I think it is a good idea to paint your ties (sleepers, for you guys across the pond) no matter what.

You are going to weather them anyway, aren’t you? :lol:

Since I use both AML and Aristo , I can say that ‘end on’ the AML rail base is a tad wider (nope didn’t get out the calipers) than the Aristo but you can open the joiners enough for this not to be a problem intermixing the two.

Thanks Guys. Answered my question. I just looked at the AML prices and they are as reasonable as we’re gonna get these days. And I like supporting AMS, AML, et. el… I think that’s the way I’m gonna go.

About 70% of my layout is USAT sectional track, 25% is AML in 6’ lengths, and less than 5% is Aristo and LGB in an outdoor, southern California environment. If I were to add to the layout or build another, it would be at least 70% AML, 30% USAT, and 0% Aristo. In my experience, LGB gums up when it weathers, Aristo gets dirtier and is harder to clean than USAT, and AML stays cleaner longer than the others. I like the 6’ AML because I can bend them to fit whatever shape I wish - not so easy with sectional track. I’ve had no trouble with ties weathering, aside from Aristo getting a white, powdery deposit on it after a while. I do like Aristo switches. I use Piko switch motors to control them remotely and recommend them very highly.

Art,
Thank you for your observations. I agree that the AML track looks like the best option presently. I too also like the idea of the 6’ flex option. This next expansion is going to be elevated in some manner and I expect will require a bit more innovative track alignment. I’ve yet to decide on a filled elevated layout or uprights like a lot of the folks seem to do here. If our climate was more moist, I could see using the upright system and filling in with shrubs, etc. But here we have a hard time growing weeds! Nevertheless, thanks for your comments. I think AML will be the way to go next time.