Large Scale Central

Evansville Western RR

Part of my Model Railroad is Copying Part of the SHortline railroad that runs from Evansville, Indiana to Okawville, Illinois… that rail road is the Evansville Western RailRoad… Yesterday, Ric, Allen and myself did a little “'railfanning”"… Below are some of the Pictures from this adventure: Our first “'run-in”" was at Ashley, Illinois… the ““Local”” MCL1 was running North (west) out to Nashville, Addieville, and Okawville… MCL1 approcahing the Diamond at Ashley:

We follwed the EVWR track into Mount Vernon, Indiana… I was explaining to Allen about a factory that ships units out on ““oversized”” flatcars and such… As we were heading back into town, we caught this:

Unit being placed inside the factory fence…

One other sight was a ““Respondek”” railroad locomotive and crew working freightcars for delivery to the plant they are hired to switch out…

There have currently been a couple of coal mines opened up in the area, and New Private raod power has been purchased to pull these coal trains… The below Pictures are shots of those engines on a cola train, that was sitting in a Brand new rail to barge loading facility…

It was a great day of railfanning, with good friends… :slight_smile:

Looks like a fun day. Wish I could have joined you :slight_smile:

THAT is one over-sized flatcar…I’ve seen a few trucks like that, but that’s the first rail road car I’ve see like that…Neat!

Nice shots. What day of the week was this and how often do they run? Are they based out of Evansville? Thanks for any & all info.

Nice pics dad!
:slight_smile:

What do they put on those oversized flats?

I really like that little switcher.

Great pictures, Andy.
That heavy duty flat sure is interesting.
Ralph

Fred Ottusch said:
Nice shots. What day of the week was this and how often do they run? Are they based out of Evansville? Thanks for any & all info.
Fred, this was yesterday, 18 April, wednesday... The Evansville Western RR HQ is actually in Mount Vernon, Indiana.... all their trains basically run out of there... The EVWR does run into CSX's Howell Yard in Evansville, Indiana... They also have interchanges with the UP in Mout Vernon, illinois, and the BNSF in Woodlawn, illinois... The vast majority of EVWR's switching manuvers are pretty much within Mount Vernon, Indiana... there's a large Industrial complex on one end of town, with a few industries, such as a shingle factory... On the other end is another industrail area & grain elevator, large oversized cargo building factory, and some othe kind of chemical plant that receives airslide 4 bay hoppers, and tanjers with numerous types of chemicals... On the east side of Mount Vernon, indiana, is the ""port of Indiana"" this port has a barge loading facility by Consolidated Grain & Barge, a fertilizer plant, an ethonal plant, and a rail to barge coal loading facility... As we discovered yesterday, between mount vernon, Indiana and evansville indiana, is a power plant off another branch, and there's also an ethonal plant their, and a brand new Rail to Barge coal loading facility... It's really quite an interesting little railroad... their motive power consists of GP's & SD's.... the GP's are 38's, 38-2's, 39-2's, and one GP-40M... actual designation depends on the road number. but engine types are stenciled under their road numbers... the SD's consist of 3 SD-40-2's, and one SD-60.... They also lease units from GATX, ae evidenced by the pictures... The EVWR does have a website, if you google Evansville Western, it should pop up....

Nice work Andy. Anymore on the flat ?

Ray Dunakin said:
What do they put on those oversized flats?

I really like that little switcher.

Ray, Exactly what’s loaded on the flats, I don’t know… I’ve seen other types of heavy duty flats in there before, with oversize large ring things on them… I’m not exactly sure what the company constructs… I only railfan the area about 3 times a year, so, when this heavyduty flatcar setup showed up, it was a thrill… This is the first time in 4 years, that I’ve seen any movement into around, or out of that plant…

I couldn’t find anything on Mammoet’s web site about these flats. The company specializes in heavy lifting and transport.
Judging by the “crew” caboose, and what appears to be two “operators” cabins on the flat, I’m guessing it is capable of self loading/ unloading.
Ralph

It was a great day of railfaning and some new information was learned and old thoughts re-enforced.

Hey, Andy, thanks for all that info. Besides having an outdoor Largescale rr, I’ve been an avid railfan for over 40 years done quite a bit in both IN and ILL but never been to the Evansville area. Thanks again.

The flat is likely to be delivered to the big Babcock & Wilcox (B&W) fab shop in Mount Vernon.

http://www.babcock.com/library/pdf/ps201-103.pdf

Boilers, Steam Generators, heavy duty weldments. Having an ASME N-Stamp is serious fabrication.

Paul

Look what showed up in the photo gallery :slight_smile: Ralph

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cabby/_forumfiles/Flat.jpg)

Thanks for the pix!

These specialty heavy transport cars are among my favorites. Here is a link to the Bachmann H0 version of the 380-Ton Schnabel Transformer Car:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3828

I have an LGB depressed center car that I plan to cut up to build a 1:20 narrow gauge version of a ‘could have been’ heavy transport car to move the generators to the Boonville Light & Power Company’s new hydroelectric generating station. Going to widen it, along with removing the German / European fittings and appearance items, but still use the 8 axles and depressed center portion.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Hi Again,
In June my friends & I only made it as far west as Mt Vernon, In. This mon we are leaving the Detroit/Windsor area & heading for Illinois, 1st stop in Momence and working our way south arriving around McLeansboro tue evening so that we are in position to “chase” the Evansville Western 1st thing wed morning. Any idea if they still operate west on wednesdays toward Woodlawn ? If so, what kind of “chase” is possible? Any & all tips are appreciated.

Fred, I only assume that they will run as far west as Woodlawn… There hasn’t been any traffic further west than woodlawn for the past few weeks… chasing MCL1 isn’t too hard… you’ll lose it for a little while when it leaves McLeansboro, but it soon picks back up along the highway… you’ll lose it again just before and after Mt Vernon, Illinois… best to run out of Mt Vernon illinois on Rte 15, west then head north to woodlawn… good luck

Thanks Andy,
Was hoping you would see this & reply and you didn’t let me down ! Does the tracks out of McLeansboro follow hwy 142 pretty good until just before Mt Vernon? Woodlawn is the interchange with the BNSF, isn’t it? Any idea what work the train “normally” does ? Trying to get an idea how much time the chase will consume so I can plan out the rest of the day.
Thanks again,
Fred

I decided to follow along from McLeansboro on Google Maps. Wow - that is some crazy track arrangement on the East side of Mt. Vernon near National Railway Equipment!