Large Scale Central

ESU #54640 LokPilot XL 4.V Multiprotocol MM/DCC Driving Decocer

HI DCC Decoder Experts! I need some help on the CV programming of this decoder for DC/Analog power operations. I’ve installed it as a replacement for the “el cheapo” factory circuit board into an LGB 20211.1 Stainz Steamer. It works great in DCC/Digital mode but my customer uses Analog power. At low voltage speed I get jerky movements in both directions. I’ve set the Motor settings using my LokProgrammer to “Linear” and “Buhler” motor like I have for the ESU 5 XL DCC Sound Decoders I’ve installed. I’ve also played around with various settings for CV2, CV3 and CV4 and still get the jerky movement at low speed. Can any suggest other adjustments to the CV settings to eliminate the jerky movement in DC/Analog operations?

Thanks!

Tom

I’m no expert but what about CV 56 and 57

Richard

Richard said:

I’m no expert but what about CV 56 and 57

Richard

Hi Richard - Appreciate your suggestion on the CVs…interestingly CV57 isn’t listed in the decoder’s master list of CVs! But I finally did solve the jerky problem after discussing it with ESU’s Technical Staff. The LGB Stainz’ Buhler motor was not on the list of motors in the ESU User Manual for setting the Reference Voltage, so I used the decoder’s Default Standard Values which didn’t solve the jerky movement. The ESU tech said to use the decoder’s Automatic Motor Calibration feature: Place the locomotive on a long piece of track, Set CV54=0, then press F1 and the locomotive will start running at full speed for about 1.5 seconds and then stop…I used my ESU LokProgrammer to do it on my Massoth Roller Wheels. The load compensation factors will then be automatically set in CVs 51, 52, 53, 54 and 55. But I still got jerky motor movement, the tech said to next check the Analog Settings in the LokProgrammer which I played around with…still jerky trying various adjustments. So finally this morning, I set CV2, CV3, CV4, and CV5 back to the Default settings listed in the Manual, and Bingo, the little Stainz now runs smoothly on DC/Analog! Wow, what an experience with fine tuning these great ESU decoders to operate primarily on Analog…I’ll be better prepared to deal with this next time!!! And I certainly needed to sort out how for future customers since Ron Gibson, the retired LGB/Marklin USA Representative, told me about three years ago that 80% of large scale hobbyists in the USA still only use Anlalog power for their locomotives/layouts. Those of use that use DCC, it’s about 15%, with the remaining 5% battery power.

Tom

FYI Interesting that battery is 5 percent as now they also use DCC also. And many LGB DC users have DCC equipped engines and at Trainli many DC customers have digital decoders installed and run them on DC only. So, the percentages may show users and how they run, but is no indication of the market place for sale of decoders/sound units.