Large Scale Central

Estate Sale: White Pass collection (Railway Museum of BC)

The Railway Museum of British Columbia (Canada) has been gifted the entire collection of the late Mr Carl Vanderspek of Burnaby, BC. Carl was a noteable west coast live steamer, White Pass fan and philanthropist; having helped save Train Mountain from bankruptcy among other things. He built a fantastically detailed replica of the White Pass route in his basement / yard - some 3000 feet of track - and ran some 25 locomotives and 500 pieces of rolling stock on it. I am a museum volunteer / G gauge train tech and I’m primarily helping to sell the locomotives , with the proceeds going to support the Museum.

The majority of Carls’ locomotives were purchased in the 1995 to 2005 timeframe and converted to DCC using Digitrax hardware and Dallee sound cards. Most were purchased from Memphis Digital. Because there were so many locomotives (20 plus) most have very few run hours and are in good to excellent condition, especially the LGB’s which are built like tanks. The digitrax modules are capable of running the locomotive on pure DC track power , however the lights require DCC to operate and the Dallee sound board function is variable. HOWEVER, we also have several Digitrax DCS-100 Base stations and DT-100 and the larger 200 series Throttles available.

LGB WHITE PASS - SUPERSETS and Single ALCO’s:

Carl purchased 7 or 8 of the LGB 72550 White Pass Supersets (LGB 2055 loco + 44710 caboose) adding several more single 2055’s so there are a dozen of the LGB 2055 ALCO Diesels. Three of these were custom painted and weathered as the Green / Yellow the rest are Blue/White unweathered. These are a beast of a machine and can pull dozens of cars with ease. Each loco was custom decalled with its own road number, including the running light numbers up top. A few of the ALCO’s refuse to run under track power so I have been selectively converting them back to factory using purchased PC boards.

DELTON 2-8-0’s:

There are 7 of these, all with unique road numbers, custom weathering with matte paint/rusting/chains and have real coal in the tenders. Most of these will run in analog mode, a couple do not and are sold AS IS unless you want to add Digitrax controls. These have the vertical can motor driving a worm to a central driver. Some have minor cosmetic damage and I need to repair still.

LGB / Aster Frank S live steamer:

Excellent condition with original box and manual - I am waiting for a new fuel line seal.

So far we have sold two of the ALCO’s plus cabooses as Supersets and one ALCO. The Delton 2-8-0’s have been gone thru I’ve cleaned and lubed the gears and carried out minor repairs and are now listed separately. Shipping is via Canada Post (handing off to USPS) from the Vancouver, Canada area. These are 20 year old hardware and condition of sale is AS-IS WHERE IS. No warranty can be offered. Sample shipping Cost for USPS to eastern US for a single locomotive would be about $50 to $60 USD.

CURRENT AVAILABILITY and PRICING:

One Units - WHITE PASS SUPERSET with Digitrax/Dallee Sound - runs in analog mode… $500 USD

Two Units - WHITE PASS SUPERSET with LGB Factory massoth control board installed and Dallee Sound (requires 9v battery or cap board) … $600 USD

Two Units - LGB 2055 WHITE PASS ALCO with Digitrax/Dallee sound, custom painted / weathered GREEN / YELLOW - runs in analog mode… $425 USD

One Unit - LGB 2055 WHITE PASS ALCO with Digitrax/Dallee sound - runs in analog mode , custom painted GREEN/YELLOW - not weathered …$400

Frank S Live Steamer …$900 USD

SOLD !!! Aster C & S #22 …$1600 USD

Below are sample photos showing the variety and condition. If you see anything that interests you let me know.

Sales would be processed on the West Coast Rail Association online store:

https://west-coast-railway-gift-shop.myshopify.com/collections/scale-model-trains

At this gift shop you will also find DOZENS of White Pass and other liveries rolling stock for sale.

Thanks !

Dave Jones

Membership Chair - Greater Van Garden Rail club ([email protected])

National Garden Rail newsletter working committee

BC Railroad Museum volunteer

A quick update on the listing: at the moment the status of the Aster C&S Mogul #22 is now SALE PENDING.

I will try to add a few more collection photos to the first post later today.

…Dave

Will now be posting the five Delton 2-8-0 White Pass locomotives in separate listings.

Update :

The Aster C&S live steamer is sold.

Delton 2-8-0’s number 20 and 27 are sold

All three LGB green / yellow White Pass Alco‘s are sold

…still have the three White Pass Super Sets available!

…Dave