Large Scale Central

Erics 2017 MIK project

Cap stones … wood flour came from plastic deck boards that were used for bigger blocks groovy side out. Not mentioned, but shown were other shapes from said Flour mill…

I see said the blind man to his deaf dog.

John

I don’t want to be too picky (Well, maybe

just a little picky.) The spelling Marion with an O is usually the masculine form, while Marian with an A is feminine. So is the librarian, who is super cool, Marion or Marian? Love the building, Eric. You do amazing things.

I am not always a proper speller but my cousin marion I think spells it that way and she is a she as far as I can tell.

The details stone were sawn out of my plastic deck board. I looked at the boards at Lowes last week and they would not do. They have a skin of color over a structural core…don’t know if they are all that way now a days? Mine is the same stuff all the way through, just molded smooth on one side and textured on the other, with rooted edges.

genius Eric

A few more hours this afternoon…

The West Gouldsboro Library has corbels holding up the lower eaves. I made “simple” ones on my band saw. I nailed three layers together so that by cutting twice I would have all I needed.

the gable ends of the building have some fancy wood trim…half timber style from England I guess. I used more of my teak for this. several layers for the cross bit at the bottom, strips for the diagonal trim under the roof and the vertical bits. little cut squares for the tooth like details under the horizontal beams.

I didnt have any metal roofing left from last year, and anyhow this building wouldnt look right with it. I decided to use my Rolled Roofing material. this stuff is “ice and water Shield” with grit on it. it is self adhesive.

A little heat with a heat gun softens it and makes the adhesive stickier which helped on the door way roof. that is all for today… windows and doors next!

Eric,

Your work is always so top notch. The little details going into this build are just great.

Amazing. Need I say more?

Hell …you even notched the corbles to support the frieze board …what can I say!

Hehe…Nice!

Darn, that there is nice.

Should I just quit now?

That coming out fantastic, can’t wait to see it finished… I’m assuming it will be stocked with hundreds of tiny books as well ? :slight_smile:

Yours is coming along nicely. You are an inspiration.

Wow, that really looks great, very nice work.

Chris

" Rooster " said:

Hell …you even notched the corbles to support the frieze board …what can I say!

Hehe…Nice!

He did what ? Notched his Corbles ??

Yes HE did!

I personally can attest that “corbels” were more than decorative elements back in the day (in the hood)!

I spent several hours this afternoon working on windows. I had milled some of the Teak wood to an even 1/8" thick to get it consistent, as I said Mystic seaport sold me scrap which was kinda random … but it was cheap!

I cut it to length then grooved it so it would nest together.

I glued the pieces together with superglue. each sash was fairly simple but I needed a bunch of them! It took a while

you can see I am not really very neat when it comes to superglue! I had to sand them to clean them up. I have self adhesive sand paper that I can stick to my bench, I then just rub the pieces against that, it takes a few seconds per.

dark green paint on my thumbfrom work on the prototype coach Wiscasset and Quebec #3. we are planning a reproduction so we had to peel some siding to see how the car is framed, I had to fix the siding before replacing it tomorrow.

I then assemble them into the window frame again using superglue.

there are eight single windows and two double…

I just pressed them into the window openings. some needed a little fitting, I used my wood rasp on the styrofoam.

I worked in some of the white caulk around the window to seal it in place and hide the rough edge of the styrofoam. I cleaned up my sloppy work with a wet rag.

Marion seems pleased enough!

doors next and then I guess I am “DONE”

Eric, every time I look at this project, I am more amazed at your woodworking craftsmanship. The teak windows add so much realism to the entire building. Teak is one of the few woods I haven’t had the opportunity to work with. How do you like it?

So sharp and you are finished early! but then again we have come to expect excellence from you.

You best get the door on quick before Moose from last year wanders in!

Those windows… WOW

A beauty!

Could you set me up on a date with Miss Marian? She’s kinda cute and I’ll bet she isn’t as old as she looks.

edit: oh yeah, the building is fine too…great combination of shapes and textures, and the coloring is just right too.