Large Scale Central

engines dropping into switch?

If the points are 9" long, you may be well served to put in a secondary throw bar midway down the points to keep them from spreading. This was very common practice on stub switches (it was the only means of keeping them in gauge), but I’ve seen point switches with extra bars on the points as well. In theory, the point being subjected to the weight would be up against the stock rail, thus would have that to hold it in place, but stranger things have happened. As the saying goes, “can’t hurt.” Being a wye switch, there’s less contact with the stock rail, so there’s more “unsupported” length along the point. It doesn’t take much flex for the weight of a loco to push the rails over enough to drop off the rails.

There’s a company - GLX Scale Models - who is offering laser-cut replacement throw bars for Aristo switches. (They’re also compatible with LGB, Piko, etc.) $10 for a pack of 10. Replacement Aristo Throw Bars

Later,

K

As for photos Greg E if I can get to pull this switch this weekend I will try and accommodate you.

That is just what is happening Kevin, the weight of the 3 truck shay spreads the long unsupported track that is the point. It is a thin piece of rail and could probably use an extra support to keep it within gauge.

Maybe that’s why the 1:1 guys tend to bolt a piece of steel to the web of the point rails, to give them a bit more support so the rail doesn’t flex.

I’ve bought the GLX throwbars and installed 2 so far (only replacing broken ones), they work well, but they are designed for the screw and bushing setup, which also requires drilling and tapping the rails. They are also designed to pivot.

The pivoting is not needed, perhaps another method would be better.

But I have run MANY heavy locos, heavier than the shay that have no issues on the #6. Can you measure the gauge before the loco is there, and then run the loco onto the switch and see what it moves to?

Somehow I think the switch is out of gauge already, with no loco.

Greg

Out of gauge or not…I think you will find that with the code 332 rail, the only problem is the loose screws. That rail, even on a point rail that is not supported all of its length, is not likely to bend under the weight of a Shay locomotive, or even a three axle Diesel truck. I know of many, many people using the Aristo wye switches, who have no problems, other than loose screws…get them tightened up, properly, and then make any suggestion for further modifications, if needed. Now, if it was code 215 rail, or lighter, that would be a different story…

…NO, I’m not in any way suggesting that the Aristo switches are without gauge, and other problems; but loose screws ARE a definite problem, that can spring up and bite you at any time…USTrains’ switches included.

This problem of loose screws on switches, led me to find the only use I have for rail clamps…being of the Battery, R/C persuasion…

I usually use a pair of rail clamps at the point end of a switch, in order to easily remove it if needed, They are not needed on the frog end, where just the regular joiners do the job.

Fred Mills

This switch has been in service for 2 years plus without a problem. I recently acquired the 3 truck shay and that was when the trouble started. It was the first to fall through and now 2 other locos do the same thing when exiting to the left. The biggest diesel to go through without problem is a USAT Gp38. For some reason the Bachmann 3 truck and 2 truck shays and Heisler fall through.

When I ran the truck through I could see the right point rail flex due to the loose screw found when you guys suggested to check it. There has always been a bit of flex in both of those long 9" point rails.

Fred, I also use rail clamps around my switches to ease their removal and not to disturb the surrounding track. If I can get to this today I will pull it and check those screws and take photos for Greg.

Well, as a point, the width of the wheel tread my influence the occurrence of the symptom. Some treads are pretty wide, and if they are wide enough, the wheel simply can’t fall down inside of the rails when the rail is over-gauge (for whatever reason). Maybe the wheel treads on the Spectrum locomotives aren’t quite as wide as on the USA diesels.

Either way, fixing the problems, loose screws, is the way to go.

Edit for pun tea ation

It’s possible your screws, both on the throwbar and the pivot points are loose. This would allow the rail to tip over. No way your shay is bending the rail and my E8’s with 6 extra pounds of weight are not bending the rail.

Pull them up and inspect them.

Greg

The Results. I was able to pull the WYE switch yesterday and sure enough the one screw was loose on that point rail. I checked all the other ones as well and I snugged them up just a bit. The 38 ton shay was brought out for a quick test and all is good.

Thanks for all the info guys. I snapped a few photos for you Greg and I will email them to you.

I always knew you had a screw loose (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

John; be nice, or I’ll take away your tube of Loctite…!!!

HA! When you think about it the general public thinks we all have a screw loose and we do. It is a bit crazy to spend piles of money and countless hours modelling, studying, online chit chatting, on our hands and knees in the garden or in a dimly lite basement watching a little train go a round in circles.

Sounds screwy to me but it is fun.

A model train, or a locomotive and cars, does not have to go around in circles…

Fred, well, they do on may of our railroads. And yes, I am a middle aged man who plays with toy trains. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)If that means I have a loose screw (or screws) then so be it.

Congrats Todd, glad we were able to help. Also glad we did not discover a new problem with these switches, there’s enough already ha ha!

Thanks for the pictures they are now on my site: http://www.elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=317&Itemid=350

Greg

Todd Haskins said:

HA! When you think about it the general public thinks we all have a screw loose and we do. It is a bit crazy to spend piles of money and countless hours modelling, studying, online chit chatting, on our hands and knees in the garden or in a dimly lite basement watching a little train go a round in circles.

Sounds screwy to me but it is fun.

Look at it another way. We could be climbing rock walls, making cookies, or repetitively sewing squares of fabric to a quilt for fun. My daughter does cross-stitch, and that would drive me nuts - all those identical stitches in row after row.

Hey! I did counted cross stitch when I was a courier driver. Not while I was driving, but while I was waiting for calls to come in.