Large Scale Central

Engine servicing trackwork at Burke

Looks like there is a potential second route to the turntable across from the shortest track in the picture and back into that siding with a turnout. Nice addition.

Looks very useful.
I like your turntable. I’m going to need to do something similar soon…have you published a write-up on how you did yours?
Thanks,
Steve

Unfortunately, no. Its pretty simple, actually. A 6" lazy susan base, a piece of 1x6 pine, and then build up the track and bridge with cedar ties and trim. Soak with Walnut stain, and then soak with boiled linseed oil.

Thanks, Bob. That’s enough to get me going. Heavy duty metal lazy susan, I suppose?
Steve

Looking good…

I rebuilt one switch this weekend, and, having reasonable weather today, decided to cut it into place at lunchtime. This switch realigns the turntable lead at Burke. This will give me a dedicated caboose track next to the coaling facility, by re-purposing the old tt lead track.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bob_mccown/Trackwork/Burke/burke_ttlead1.jpg)

and from the other angle

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bob_mccown/Trackwork/Burke/burke_ttlead2.jpg)

The left hand track here will be the new caboose track, and the old turntable lead will be the coaling facility dump.

Nice. It’s too cold out there for me :frowning:

Jon Radder said:
Nice. It's too cold out there for me :(
Corner Rooster! :(

Its not to often you can work on the layout this time of year. Take advantage of the nice weather.
Jon’s just a wimp :slight_smile:

Is it done yet?

Bob,
Do you use all PT wood for your track deck? I have been thinking about using WonderBoard, the concrete counter-top stuff. Has anyone out there posted that they’ve use it?

Rich: Yea, I use PT benchwork, and TufBoard for the areas that are spline. I know some people have used the concrete board, but I haven’t used it myself, except as a building base.

Thanks Bob. I’ve used concrete board for building foundations and it works great. Doesn’t deteriorate at all. Thought it might work for elevated track base as well as long as it has a good frame support. My knees are starting to complain about crawling around on the ground and my grandson is old enough now to help with an elevated project…so a new layout this spring alongside the old one. Have a great holiday.