Large Scale Central

Emily's first outing

Took my new Bachmann Emily to her first train show today, and her first run. Most satisfactory.

First off, she runs nicely on R2 curves (Aristo 5’ diameter, to be precise) and through the curved leg of LGB R1 turnouts (facing and trailing; no S-bend). There was a delicate flange squeal on the curves, but that might be the six-wheel coach behind Emily’s tender. I must run her light engine to find out.
The sight of those big drivers turning in stately fashion even at a fair pace is rather nice. She takes very little throttle to pick up her stride.

Emily proved to be a popular attraction; one of my acquaintances watched her for a while and then popped across the aisle and bought one from my neighbourhood pusher. And the kids have obviously been watching her on TV, and were happy to see her “in the flesh”.

The reason for the flangeless, slightly smaller diameter centre wheels on Emily’s tender and six-wheel coaches has become obvious. On R2 curves (and more so on R1), those wheels leave the rails entirely and hang in empty air. Incidentally, the tender centre wheels catch any slight “bumps” in the track and turn for a few revolutions, which is amusing, but I find that even when they aren’t moving, the general appearance is OK. The eye sees what it wants to see.
Nor does Emily’s front truck jar the eye. If you look from the front on a curve, it is clear that the front wheels have moved aside and the second pair have not, but from the side (especially on the inside of the curve), it isn’t obvious at all.

The straight connecting rods are nice, as opposed to the cranked horrors on Bachmann’s Percy. You have to look very closely to see that they are mounted on rather large bosses on the driving wheels. I would give Emily an A for appearance.

Emily and three coaches are just about 6 feet long, so they do stay in the clear in my 7-foot-plus passing loops. Percy and five trucks are almost the same length, so the two trains make a good match.

All in all, I’m happy.

Chris,
The squeal is from the coaches, did the same with me on a test run. I hardly noticed that center axle on the coaches, have to really focus on it to notice it.

Jerry Barnes said:
Chris, The squeal is from the coaches, did the same with me on a test run. I hardly noticed that center axle on the coaches, have to really focus on it to notice it.
I ran Emily light engine this morning; alas, the squeal is definitely hers. Can't say I blame her: R2 is a tight radius. Come spring, I shall try her on the 10-foot diameter outdoors; I think she'll like it better for a treat. She's stuck with the R2s for show work, I don't have the space to go larger. As for the coaches, I agree you have to look closely to see those centre wheels off the rails. It doesn't worry me; in fact, I think it shows a certain ingenuity on Bachmann's part. (As an aside, the Bachmann four-wheel goods wagons have been known to squeal on R1s; quite prototypical, those goods wagons were noisy beasts -- and troublesome. Built to minimum standards, and, in the case of the private owner wagons such as S.C. Ruffey, maintained to minimum standards too).

I have just purchased a Emily and coach today. My daughter and I ran it tonite. I found that on the blind center axle that the wheels were rubbing the plastic supports on the tender. I removed the two covers one on each side of the axle. I then took the wheel set out of the car and since there is no adjustment like the standard wheel axle i took the end from my pin vice and centered it over the wheel hub and gave it a gentle tap on both wheels. Replaced it back in the tender and no rubbing. The wheels has slight but not noticble wobble to them. I didn’t want to sand the support post down as it would have scuffed it up. You wouldn’t have seen this but it was new and didn’t want to go that route. Problem solved.

As for the Brake coach it does squeal too, But I am using 4 ft cirlce track sections and the coach does not like them at all. So when we take up the track to do a different layout on the floor we will use the 8 ft curves and should fix that problem. Over all I like it so far. That is one Huge driver wheel ,I’ll say that, and a long Locomotive / tender…

I would like to see Bachman continue the Thomas series hopefully with a diesel Locomotive next… Travis