Large Scale Central

EMD SW1200 vs NW-2 switchers

This club meeting we had to volunteer for which month we would host the show and July and June were snatched up first so I took up August.

And while I do have a railroad to build I am not ONLY going to build a railroad. I never once said I was going to stop building stuff. No point in having a RR if I don’t have stuff to put on it.

Devon, if you are like me, and I suspect that you are. A one month extension means I get to procrastinate another month, before the mad dash to finish on time.

NW versus SW: In EMD’s original 1930s nomenclature system NW was for Nine-hundred horsepower, Welded frame & SW was Six-hundred horsepower, Welded frame. C would have been used for cast frame. As with so many once clear and orderly things in life that system eventually evolved or devolved to where both S and N had more horsepower than 600 and 900, then N was dropped altogether.

Reference source, The Second diesel spotter’s Guide, copyright 1973 by Jerry A. Pinkepank

David Maynard said:

Devon, if you are like me, and I suspect that you are. A one month extension means I get to procrastinate another month, before the mad dash to finish on time.

No. . .I refuse to accept this. . .doesn’t mean it isn’t true. . .I just don’t accept it

Forrest Scott Wood said:

NW versus SW: In EMD’s original 1930s nomenclature system NW was for Nine-hundred horsepower, Welded frame & SW was Six-hundred horsepower, Welded frame. C would have been used for cast frame. As with so many once clear and orderly things in life that system eventually evolved or devolved to where both S and N had more horsepower than 600 and 900, then N was dropped altogether.

Reference source, The Second diesel spotter’s Guide, copyright 1973 by Jerry A. Pinkepank

Well that is actually interesting. I was kinda wondering.

Here is a list of the EMC models:

http://yardlimit.railfan.net/early/emc/index.html

They became EMD in 1941.

Starting about 1949, with the SW7, EMD dropped the S for 600hp and N for 900hp designation, and all switchers became simple SW-something models.

At the point, SW no longer meant Six hundred, Welded frame, and SW changed to meaning simply SWitcher.

Then we had SW7, SW8, SW900, SW1500, and several other models…the number after the SW then designated the horsepower.

Scot

I always assumed that SW meant SWitcher but with then the NW didn’t make any sense. But I also didn’t care. So this conversation is enlightening.

Devon Sinsley said:

David Maynard said:

No. . .I refuse to accept this. . .doesn’t mean it isn’t true. . .I just don’t accept it

Oh sure, just refuse delivery.