Large Scale Central

EL Wire longevity

So A fellow club member purchased a Diner model in need of some repair. He asked if I could 3d print a replacement EATS sign. Instead I thought it may be cool to use EL wire so I printed a template with some holes and threaded it though. Needs a bit of adjustment but not bad for a first draft. My concern is that is won’t last very long.

Has anyone had real world experience with EL wire? Is this quote from thatscoolwire.com website accurate?

Q: Does El Wire Fade?

A: Under perfect conditions, the color of El Wire can last many many years, however, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight or UV light will cause the color to fade over time.

In outdoor use where the wire is exposed to direct sunlight, you can expect the wire to hold its true color for 1 to 2 years from the date of purchase, depending on which color you buy. Red, Yellow, Power Green, Purple, and Pink will fade faster than the other colors under these conditions.

You can expect 2 to 3 years of true color from your wire when exposed to average sunlight indoors.

2 Likes

Neat. What is the power source? Thier website states current draw of various products, but not operating voltage.

The ones I have (not from that site) came with “pocket” inverters (EL needs AC power) and they take 2 AA batteries. This site has all the info you’re looking for. Using EL Wire | EL Wire | Adafruit Learning System

Thanks Dan. I’m not allowed on the Adafruit website. too much cool stuff I want!!!

That looks awesome! I wonder if it could be sprayed with Krylon UV resistant clear coat to make it last longer?