Large Scale Central

ECLSTS vendor info?

Speaking of NEW product…

When is LGB going to wise up, and TrainWorld going to press them to start again, producing NORTH AMERICAN PRODUCT

This constant advertising of repaints, and old European product, at higher than needed prices, is getting mighty-mighty BORING…

This is not to say that there are not a few North Americans that find the stuff attractive; but there is a whole market out there that would like some NEW NA stuff…since Bachmann seems to be cutting back, on anything but “Toddler Toys”…it must be the old German attitude, that “We know best what you want”…CRAP…

I hear you Fred, but would anyone buy LGB North American outline stuff today? The mainline diesel crowd is pretty entrenched in 1:29 with a few 1:32 purists hanging on. The narrow gauge crowd is similarly invested in 1:20.3. I don’t think that many of these folks would buy steam or diesel in LGB’s 1:22ish scale. I am far from a scale purist - I run 1:24 stock with my 1:20.3 stock calling it older and smaller but that is because I already owned it. When I buy or build it’s only 1:20.3. That’s my take, anyway.

The show + seeing people is the reason I go to York. I often don’t buy anything but it’s the excuse I need to spend money on a couple nights at a hotel. Along with the fact the hotel is pretty cheap helps too. Moving to a bigger metro area would be an entry in the minus column for me.

Fred Mills, SOG said:

If there is no new product to attract the “Throngs”, then maybe it’s time to just arrange a “Drag & Brag”, and friendly get-together in a smaller town, or location, like Syracuse…add other small town names here… Book a big room at a hotel, where there are rooms at a fair price. Get Ric to bring his portable layout; have a tub for ice; and make sure there is a good, old-fashioned diner nearby.

…if someone close by happens to have a railroad, then it might be an excuse to run a train or two…

No…don’t turn it into a high priced “Convention”. Just treat it as an annual “Reunion of Friends”.

A meeting of friends doesn’t always have to involve buying and selling. It can just be meeting old friends, and any new ones that happen along, to just have a great social event, with the opportunity to actually meet the people that seem to be the “Bad Actors” on the internet, but in person can become “Best of Friends”.

Large Scale model railroading isn’t dying; it’s just taking a rest…!!!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

That would be worth doing. Could always do the Best Western or Days Inn in Matamoris PA. Off I84. Port Jervis is close by, Metro North runs to Port Jervis. Could run on my layout and maybe a few more. Good places to eat. Scranton area would be another good sot.

Fred Mills, SOG said:

If there is no new product to attract the “Throngs”, then maybe it’s time to just arrange a “Drag & Brag”, and friendly get-together in a smaller town, or location, like Syracuse…add other small town names here… Book a big room at a hotel, where there are rooms at a fair price. Get Ric to bring his portable layout; have a tub for ice; and make sure there is a good, old-fashioned diner nearby.

…if someone close by happens to have a railroad, then it might be an excuse to run a train or two…

No…don’t turn it into a high priced “Convention”. Just treat it as an annual “Reunion of Friends”.

A meeting of friends doesn’t always have to involve buying and selling. It can just be meeting old friends, and any new ones that happen along, to just have a great social event, with the opportunity to actually meet the people that seem to be the “Bad Actors” on the internet, but in person can become “Best of Friends”.

Large Scale model railroading isn’t dying; it’s just taking a rest…!!!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Isn’t that already being done at the ECLSTS? (Drag and Brag on Friday night, in a small town, rooms booked at a fair price)

York seems like a pretty small town (43K), especially when compared to Syracuse (145K), or Scranton (76K).

I suspect that the majority of folks that attend the ECLSTS don’t give a hoot about operations, and those that do already host operations sessions when the weather is better suited for it.

Well, and for me, York has become an even better place to go for the ECLSTS. 2 years ago I was in York for training, since my company is based there. So I didn’t pay for the gas to drive to York (from Pittsburgh), nor did I pay for the hotel room. Last year, while I was at the ECLSTS, I stopped by the office, its only just on the other side of that falling down building to the left of the Memorial hall, picked up an expense check, and got my yearly review (and a 3% raise).

If LGB was smart (enough), they would get the rights to the molds and bring back the Amtrak equipment made by LGBoA. LGB did bring back the Mikado (in whatever scale it was), but at a price point that certainly left me out of that game.

Fred, It would be nice if new product would come out every year. Not just repaints and re releases. Be it LGB, Bachmann, USA or whoever. It would also be nice if that product was in one of the popular scales. But we have been asking for (or complaining about) this for so long, I don’t think its going to change.

I think the new product from LGB is hampered by the layers of management (he who holds the money).

LGB owned by Marklin, Marklin owned by Simba Dickie

I would guess that the top management don’t give a hoot about expanding markets, too risky…

Greg

Rooster would like to be called : Simba Dickie in his next life !

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

You know, you just can’t make this stuff up. He actually thinks this way.

Greg Elmassian said:

I think the new product from LGB is hampered by the layers of management (he who holds the money).

LGB owned by Marklin, Marklin owned by Simba Dickie

I would guess that the top management don’t give a hoot about expanding markets, too risky…

Greg

Greg, actually it is risky, if the manufacturer doesn’t know what the market wants. And since LGBoA is gone, is there anyone, anyone at LGB, who has a clue what the North American market wants?

Hmmmmmmm a way for manufacturers to come up with a product that market actually wants. Just gonna throw this out there, I know I am thinking too intelligently, maybe they could survey their customer base. Charlie Ro finally did it and is coming out with new stuff, though really wished he had released the results of that survey.

Joseph, there you go, making sense again. You are going to have to stop doing that.

The show + seeing people is the reason I go to York…

Reason I went to the ECLSTS twice ! And extended the visits to the PA/MD region to include various rwy sights.

But with air travel being a struggle now and tight ‘budget’, better to save the sanity/money for regional offerings both show and product-wise !

I still tell peoples about how ECLSTS was the LS show experience and still is, if you want to experience a LSTS !

doug c

p.s. also travel advisory to the U.S.A. :wink:

Ric Golding said:

Its been on Easter Weekend a couple of times. The bad part is some people have other obligations then. The good part is that many schools are closed on Good Friday and more kids can come on the Friday. The reason it was changed to not be on Sunday is that the Fairgrounds charges a very increased rate for being open on Sunday.

Sometimes you can step into a pile of dog waste and you have no idea it happens until you notice a strange odor. Last night at a very enjoyable dinner gathering before the resumption of “Friday Night Op”, “York”, East Coast Large Scale train Show" “The Spring Train Show at York” “Our Annual Gathering at the Diner, Plus Train Show” or whatever you want to call it, casually came up for discussion. Amongst the topics was the discussion of the sudden change of date to “Easter Weekend”. I should have noticed the frosty cold that came from my right, but I was eating and my concentrations were elsewhere. Shall I say, we had a nice evening and I innocently got in the car for a pleasant drive home.

WHAM! There was that smell.

In a not so tactfully way, I was told that under no circumstances would Easter once again be spent in York, PA. She, meaning that small delightful women I have enjoyed “wedded bliss” with for the last 45 years, smacked me upside the head with a can of whoopass. The first statement was “when were you going to tell me”, my first reaction was “tell you what?”. As I tried to figure out what the new subject was, I could sense that I was in a bad position, my driving skills were being challenged and the pleasant evening had come to an abrupt end. My desire for a pleasant weekend were shattered and I was hoping to once again be able to consume food or, at least, something through a straw.

At this time, as she is still quietly sleeping, and looks so peacefully cute, I am publicly stating the “Timesaver” will not be in the Alcove next Spring or probably any other Easter Weekend in my life time. If I make it to Spring or even November 1st, seems questionable right now.

SOOOOOOOOO, as dawn breaks with a cloudy sky and some drizzle in Carlyle, my future is questionable, but with this in print and stated, I am hoping I can once again enjoy a nice Fall Day, food, marital bliss, companionship,

model trains, a peaceful life and oh Yes, a Happy Easter with my loving family in beautiful Carlyle, Illinois or location with family not determined by me.

Who knew?

Pure Fools are those who changed the ECLSTS to Easter Weekend. GOD have mercy on their souls.

Ric Golding said:

WHAM! There was that smell.

The first statement was “when were you going to tell me”, my first reaction was “tell you what?”. As I tried to figure out what the new subject was, I could sense that I was in a bad position, my driving skills were being challenged and the pleasant evening had come to an abrupt end. My desire for a pleasant weekend were shattered

Oh yea. Been there. Done that.

When a woman starts down that type of conversation, there is a tone to her voice. I call it the “mom tone”, and when I hear that tone, I know that I am not going to win. So I go into damage control, to try and minimize the yelling, I don’t react well to being yelled at.

Ric, I understand your position, and, hopefully things will settle down and you can have some pleasantness this weekend. You will be missed in the Alcove.

Thats a bummer Ric, was looking forward to seeing you guys there on my first trip to York and running trains with ya.

Speaking of the 'Alcove"

The Alcove has become the defector MAIN PRESENCE OF LARGE SCALE CENTRAL at the ECLSTS. The main reason, and the greatest resource, in making the ALCOVE the main place for LSC at the show was, and is Ric, and Jan Golding. They, and they alone have provided the centre of attention, and the nucleus of THE MEETING PLACE, and FRIENDSHIP centre at the East Coast Large Scale Train Show over many, many years.

To think they traveled a much greater distance, carrying their moduals than just about any other LSC members, should be noted.

There are a great number of LSC members living within a one or two hour drive, who just show up, but don’t contribute nearly as much as Jan and Ric… IT’S TIME THEY STEP UP TO THE PLATE, and take over in their own way, the attraction in the ALCOVE…What Say, Guys …Start planning now…you can do it, if the will is there… ?

Thank you, Jan and Ric, for your dedication and labours, over the years…you deserve a holiday…

Oh yes…another thing to think of, and make plans for…

What about …“THE DRAG & BRAG” at the Windham…?

Who is going to take over the arrangements for it ?

Remember Ric and Jan looked after that too…who will step up to the plate and look after that…a nice job for someone living close by, in York or that area…will we see a volunteer…I hope so…

I doubt that I’ll ever get to York again, or I would try to fill in, even from my distance away, as I did for a few years. It’s time for someone local to offer assistance…

These two things; The Alcove", and “The Drag & Brag” that helped LSC develop friendships over the years. Are we going to let all that fade away, then wonder and debate over the months; what went wrong…Jump in now, and keep the party going…jump in, the water is fine…towels are beside the bar…

Fred Mills

A childhood friend of Marilyn’s said on a visit last weekend: “Grandchildren change everything.” I do believe this is a case of family coming before train hobby. Sad, but true. My appearance in York this spring remains questionable as well. I was hoping to see you next season, but we will just need to work something else out. I’ll see if I can figure out how to get to Finger Lakes. LMK when you have dates for that.

EDIT to add: If I don’t hear from you by tomorrow I will notify the authorities!

Fred Mills, SOG said:

Oh yes…another thing to think of, and make plans for…

What about …“THE DRAG & BRAG” at the Windham…?

Who is going to take over the arrangements for it ?

Remember Ric and Jan looked after that too…who will step up to the plate and look after that…a nice job for someone living close by, in York or that area…will we see a volunteer…I hope so…

I doubt that I’ll ever get to York again, or I would try to fill in, even from my distance away, as I did for a few years. It’s time for someone local to offer assistance…

These two things; The Alcove", and “The Drag & Brag” that helped LSC develop friendships over the years. Are we going to let all that fade away, then wonder and debate over the months; what went wrong…Jump in now, and keep the party going…jump in, the water is fine…towels are beside the bar…

Fred Mills

Gee, I guess I was mistaken. I though Bob handled the drag and brag room. I know there is a donation jar in that room, to help cover the cost of that room. If whoever is reserving the room needs my donation before the event, I would be glad to chip in before the Drag and Brag.