Large Scale Central

ECLSTS for 2023 and beyound

Ok since I live in Annapolis I love the show being here. Obviously much reduced in size, but Star has kept it going for which I am grateful. While I loved the York show in it’s prime, York treated Star badly so they went looking for another venue. They were all setup for Timonium MD fairgrounds when covid shut that down. I believe if they had been able to move to Timonium the show would have had a chance of revival since it is a huge facility, and right on an interstate. The comittement from vendors is critical for the show to continue. Star has a few more this year then last, such as USAT. And yes I loved Nicholas Smith, I got one new engine a year there on their sales. They are alive and well.
http://www.nicholassmithtrains.com/store/
I do not know why they stopped coming.
And I second the hope of garden materials vendors. My wife who manages the landscaping on our ground layout, loved them at York and always came away with a large box of plants.

I doubt I would go to a show in Mass., just too far to venture for me. Spoiled by York and Annapolis, (and maybe Timonium) I suppose. But however it evolves I hope and wish for success.

Jerry

1 Like

Stan,

A lot of folks have mentioned the big names in RLD Hobbies, There is also G scale Junction and Reindeer Pass. It would be nice to have tables or areas for smaller vendors or people to sell their collections with out having to pay a huge amount for a table or two. I would like to see Piko, LGB, Accucraft and Bachmann participate more. The Track vendors like Llagas Creek and Sunset Valley should be included. It would be nice if vendors like Ozark Miniatures could be persuaded to come out to the show as well. Split Jaw is back and I am sure would want to attend. Plus Bridge Werks power supplies. I think a big help to show will be tracking down and offering a spot to some of the smaller vendors as there is a group that does buildings and crafting you see online but dont always get to shows if they could be convinced to come that would help. Also while not my things there is also the live steam people like Triple R services who could be invited.

The mention of Allentown, PA causes some interest.
As for other vendors, I would only support someone who sells pickles.

Sounds like the formation of a pickle lobby is in order. And Lou, I’ll back you up.

I like that idea. Not sure what the tables are costing nowadays?

I also like the thought of model displays, but that requires a group of people watching over them. And having a good time doing so, while drinking coffee… and maybe running a timesaver layout… hmmm… I seem to recall… something at the back of my mind, starting with “alc…”, I’ll post if I remember it… :grin:

I recall the ECLSTS of old had lots of single tables for small vendors. Rich Yoder had his brass EBT stuff one year, there was a guy with the leftover NOS Lionel Atlantics, and the plant guys as Jerry says. I even bought plants one year!

The others I recall who might be invited include the figures guys (Just plain folks?), some electronics - wasn’t Dallee there one year - maybe invite G Scale Graphics? All the little companies that used to advertise in tiny spaces in the back of GR magazine!

Books are also a good bet for variety. Maybe a bookseller like White River Productions would take a table and sell the year’s Garden Railway Annual?

One aspect that might get more tables would be to get volunteers to man the table for a vendor. It’s very expensive to fly in and stay for 2 or 3 days, but if we could get a few guys to spend half a day safeguarding their stuff, they might want to ship some and rent a table?

I do support the idea of a table or two for folk to bring a model and put a price on it. Howard Zane’s Great Train Show at Timonium had a space where you could sell a few items. If you have a lot, then rent a table of your own.

1 Like

Since Trainli moved to Reno, NV, they have attended some West coast shows. East coast shows would be very expensive for them to attend due to living/travel costs.

Good to see you, Dan.

I’d sure love to see TrainLi again, but yeah, not on this coast anymore. :disappointed:

If they did, I’ll bet they’d display this new product. Seems like LGB is going super-detailed on this one. I’m not rich, and don’t do Euro, but wow, this is one amazing beast. And no hook and loop!

And the “Rooster” can get this one… :innocent:

I’d definitely like to see the show in Southern PA, or Northern MD if it can continue.
My club, the WVMGRS, always puts up a display layout for the show, and many of our members are from Northern VA. I think New England would be too far away for us to go to the show. Allentown is probably the furthest north we’d feel comfortable going.

As for vendors, I’d like to see all the guys everyone mentioned, as well as Garden Tracks, from New Jersey, and Beacon Hill Trains, from PA.

I loved that, Pete. A huge rectangle of tables, always manned or womanned, where people could place a lot for sale, and that was that. Not sure of the financial details, like the %% the show gets, how taxes are handled, and when/how the seller gets paid, but it really impressed me as an obvious addition that benefits everyone.

Cool, a long Amtrak eggliner!

I was a vender at the show and the last one I went to was in 2020. When it moved further south I decided not to go. i us to have 6 booths or 12 tables there I went under the name of Beacon Hill Trains. I did very well I sold old and new and did very well. Would like to see it back in Pa a good place is the Lebanon Expo center.
Mike

I agree with Vin. The shows have not been the same, no new products, the same trains that didnt sell the year before ect … prices are through the roof and distance was always an issue for me. When you look at it, spending two days and driving over 3 hrs cost me more then the few deals I got on trains. For me it was not worth it. I did enjoy seeing everyone but half the times I was too tired from the drive.
I think Allentown area would be perfect. They already have a few shows that get a good turnout. Amherst show would be a good location and mix it in with the current Amherst show. Only dissadvantage is, its too busy. Since there is multiple buildings they can have one dedicated building to Large Scale. Amherst is a little closer for me so I would consider going more. Allentown is much more doable and I’d attend that.
Another option is the Scranton area. Like York they have a train meusems, the town isn’t as busy so navigating isn’t an issue.

Yea, Scranton might be good. The Lackawanna Station Hotel is right across from the Hilton Conference Center, and both are near Steamtown. I wonder if there’s enough venue space around there?

IMHO the Amherst show is TOO crowded. Every time I’ve gone recently its been to meet someone. The times I just went to wander around it was just packed to the gills.

In the past there was discussion about getting the g scale clubs and dealers who had G into one building at the Amherst RR Society Show.
Would like to see the show move to mid-April as the weather has better chance of being decent and maybe have some open houses related to the show.

I don’t think we will see Train-Li come to the show. I really can’t see a lot of the bigger dealers making it to the show for that matter. Costs have gone up and the amount of people in Large Scale has gone down.

FWIW, Allentown was mentioned favorably by 5 guys. Significant?

Funny, because even though it is pretty centrally located, the fastest way in for those of us coming past NYC, its about 20 miles of 2 lane to get there :open_mouth:

May I suggest Honolulu? Sorry, had to try… :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Sounds like a good plan, so long as free air fare is provided!