Large Scale Central

EBT vulcan steel truck side frame, 3D printed

Hi all!

I’ve been working on creating a 3D drawing for an EBT vulcan truck, which is intended for 3D printing. I have finished my first versions, and have printed test copies. At first I only intended them for my own models, but have decided to make them available on Shapeways, so that other modelers might be able to use them. I have a leaf spring version that I created for under my Iron Horse Engraving caboose, and a coil spring version intended for use under freight cars. I did a conversion of a Bachmann flat to depict the EBT’s second generation boxcars, and put these trucks under it, and it really does give the model a much more EBT look! They are reasonably accurate for the trucks used under the hoppers, flats, boxcars and cabooses on the East Broad Top Railroad. They are designed to accept the large metal Bachmann wheel sets, with the 3mm axles, which work out reasonably enough for the dimensions of the EBT’s 24 inch wheels. To connect the side frames, a short piece of brass can be used. Printed in plastic, these trucks are a cheaper alternative to the more expensive brass, or inaccurate plastic Bachmann vulcans available. They should hold up as well, as I left enough space above and below the axle pocket to include a simple brass bushing. I’ve used them on my test track, running for hours, without any noticeable wear…even without installing bushings! If intended to be left outdoors for long periods of time, I would put a coat of UV resistant spray paint on them after construction.

Here are the links:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZTBLA8N8V/east-broad-top-railroad-vulcan-leaf-spring-version?li=search-results-1&optionId=56196403

https://www.shapeways.com/product/B34NV4SJ2/east-broad-top-railroad-ebt-cast-steel-vulcan-tr?li=search-results-1&optionId=56110964

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DGQ29RN8S/ebt-vulcan-truck-side-updated-improved?li=search-results-1&optionId=56244668

They look great! Thanks for posting them.

Later,

K

Welcome to LargeScaleCentral.

Very nice side frames.

John

Very nice work Jonathon. A couple of questions…

Are they printed with or without the springs (or; are springs functional) ?

The Shapeways pictures look great, but they are digital previews, not actual product. Do you have any detail photos of the printed parts you could share?

Finally - I’m not ready for these now; but I will need a bunch to finish some boxcar kits I’ve had on the shelf. $60 per car without wheels ends up to be prohibitive. Would you be willing to license someone like Mark Dash to print them, or share the print file so they could be done for half that or less?

Thanks!

Daktah,
They are printed with non-functioning springs. I initially intended to do a drawing of the frames with a full bolster, so that functioning springs could be added after printing. The cost of 3D printing is still high though, and doing the whole truck minus wheels and springs would have been too expensive.

Regarding photos: in my first post, there are actually three links, one for the leaf spring caboose version, my original coil spring version, and finally an improved coil spring version. Only the last one still needs photos uploaded, the other two have photo from several angles. I will have photos up of the improved version as soon as my wife gets around to it (she’s the photographer in the family).

I would entertain a deal for licensing the design, if it’s reasonable. I’ve spent a good amount of time on these already, and don’t want to give them away.

Thanks for your interest!

Thanks for the reply. Regarding photos; I saw the “digital preview” notation on one and just assumed they all were previews. Thanks!

Yes, Welcome Jonathan! That’s quite a way to introduce yourself, and I like it. Very nice job on those trucks. I’ll be watching the progression of this project since I’ll hopefully be Needing some going into next year. I’ll be happy to get the railroad in place this year. Always happy to see another EBT fan on the site too. Look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Can these be rescaled to 1/22.5 ? The 1/20.3 size will look too big under the older Bachmann cars (been there, tried that) which I have way too many to replace with 1/20.3 cars, not that I want to as all my other equipment is 1/22 or 1/24 anyway.

Thank you all for the welcome to this site! and your interest in this project!

Gary, It should not be too difficult to resize these trucks to 1:22.5. I will have to do the math and make sure they are still printable, but I suspect they would be. Question: what wheels are you wanting to use for them? The metal Bachmann wheel sets that come with their 1:22.5 hoppers actually scale out much closer to 1:20.3, that’s why I used them for these trucks. If you’d like to use them for the smaller trucks, that would be ok. Or you could source wheel sets that are closer to scale. Let me know which you decide, so that I can make the axle pocket the correct diameter.

In 1:22.5, I would think that the leaf spring version would significantly improve the look of the Bachmann EBT cabooses.

I use the the Bachmann small wheel sets [24 mm I think] on all of my 1.22.5 and 1/24 equipment. They just look better to my eye. I also move the trucks to their correct location on the hoppers which helps in appearance as well but the Bachmann Vulcans are too short in wheelbase and the side frames are much too short so they look rather anemic.

Ok, I will rescale them to 1:22.5 but keep the axle pocket the same size, so that you can use your existing wheel sets. I will let you know when this version hits Shapeways (whenever I can find time to tinker!)

Hi Gary, I had a few moments today to tinker. The 1:22.5 versions of the leaf spring and coil spring truck are now on Shapeways. The material costs were a little less, so they are a bit cheaper! No photos yet, as obviously I haven’t had the opportunity to do a test print. If you decide to try them out, please let me know how it works out!

Here’s the links:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AG3VPJ5SU/ebt-vulcan-caboose-truck-side-frame-1-22-5-scale?li=search-results-1&optionId=56741463

https://www.shapeways.com/product/37UKZT5WR/ebt-vulcan-truck-side-frame-1-22-5?li=search-results-1&optionId=56741566

Jonathan,

Welcome to LSC. I’m another EBT fan and I welcome another source of parts.

However, and I hate to rain on your parade, the Shapeways prices are a little much. $60 for the frames, $18 for wheels (best price I could find) plus brass bearings and various other bits. At least $80. For $95 I get a pair of RYM brass trucks, complete with working springs, scale wheels and ball bearings.

Pete Thornton said:

Jonathan,

Welcome to LSC. I’m another EBT fan and I welcome another source of parts.

However, and I hate to rain on your parade, the Shapeways prices are a little much. $60 for the frames, $18 for wheels (best price I could find) plus brass bearings and various other bits. At least $80. For $95 I get a pair of RYM brass trucks, complete with working springs, scale wheels and ball bearings.

Your looking at the price for them in metal. Printed in plastic, the price drops to $15 per side frame, or $30 total. In metal it’s $60 per side frame…

Pete, yes Shapeways prices are expensive, and currently there are other alternatives. What I’m thinking, is that when the traditionally manufactured supplies are no longer available (whenever that might be…), these will still be around pretty much on demand. Also, the cost of printing seems to be in rapid decline. I’ve come into quite a few old Bachmann cars with the large metal wheelsets…if you know where to look you can snag them for a song and a dance! So really I’m looking at just the expense of the side frames, plus whatever I pay for the scrap heap cars, plus a few bits of sheet brass for the bolster and homemade bushing. I would say, being creative, my cost per car is around 65 dollars, thirty bucks per car is worth my while. But alas, the RYM trucks are indeed far superior to mine. Anywho, I don’t mean to sound combative here, and at the end of the day I did these mostly for my own enjoyment. I’m currently looking into ways of bringing the price of printing down, as others have suggested.

Hey Jonathan, You don’t sound combative to me, and doubtful, anyone else. You’re just politely explaining your position. I think Pete is just making sure to examine all the details, and if there is one thing I think I can safely say about the EBT clan, it’s that they are fairly detail oriented. I think we all support your work and are excited for the option. You’ve found a great group of people, and magic happens when we/they collaborate.

Pete, I looked on Rich’s site and I didn’t see a listing for the trucks. So they are $45 per truck? Didn’t even know he sold them separate.

Thanks, Randy. I was just trying to be clear about my attitude, it’s way too easy to misinterpret the written word! :slight_smile:

From what many are saying, and I hope is true, is that 3D printing will become increasingly cheaper and higher quality over the next few years. Certainly is has serious limitations, but one of the industries that isn’t as constrained by these limitations is the model railroad industry, I believe. Right now, it can’t really compete with existing traditionally manufactured goods…in price or quality, but I’m hoping that this will change. I think we’ve seen vast improvements move at an exciting pace…i’ve only been following it a couple years, and already things have improved greatly.

In the meantime, it’s my desire to start working on collecting .stl files of various bits of the EBT. Maybe eventually make all the components for a complete car or two that can be printed (and used in conjunction with laser printed parts from other suppliers, too). It might be just as expensive, especially in the short term, but the great advantage to all this is that the models would be available whenever needed, in multiple materials, with limited runs and minimum orders not being a factor. For a prototype like the EBT, that has a small but loyal following, this new technology might be very good. Coming into adulthood in the 90’s and wanting to model the EBT was very frustrating for me, largely because models just weren’t available in any kind of reliable way. Limited runs of this and that came around from time to time, as most EBT modelers living through the time i’m sure are aware, but generally you had to choose between ponying up money at exactly the right time, or settling for disappointing compromises (running equipment that isn’t accurate for the EBT, etc.)

I think I’ve heard here and there that Rich still has trucks available. They are really the way to go in terms of quality and accuracy.

Thanks Jonathan, I plan on getting some sample done soon.

Gary, if you do get a sample done, be sure to let me know if the dimensions are correct. I scaled the truck down and opened up the hole for the axle, but it may need to be opened up more. On the trucks I’ve done so far, the clearances have been a little tight, but it’s really easy to open up the hole a little with a drill press.

I don’t work in 1:22.5, but if you’d like, I can print a test copy. That way you wouldn’t have to take the risk on a “first try” product. If your in a hurry though, you can just go ahead and order them.