Large Scale Central

East Broad Top Work Wekend

I thought some might enjoy seeing some shots of the work going on at the EBT. The first shows bracing that was added in the bottom of the sand house to keep it from leaning. The is one of these x braces on each side now.

EBT Sand houce Bracing

This shot shows the steel rod added in the adjacent sand holding bin. It has been bolted into the concrete foundation and the other end goes into the top of the X Brace.

EBT Sand House Bracing B

The shot (sorry for the darkness) shows the last bar that we made and installed to connect the two braces.

EBT Sand House Bracing C

The next set aren’t really works in progress. They are just some neat scenes I picked.

Boiler and stacks above:

EBT Boiler and stacks

Machine Shop. The bar we made and installed in the sand house is laying across the two vises.

EBT Machine Shop

Other side of Machine shop:

EBT Aux Shop

Car shops. Notice the K4 boiler.

EBT Car shops

Foundry. This building is slated for some work soon to address sinking footings under it’s timbers.

EBT Foundry

Here was a nice spot I found on the back edge of the yard. In view are some storage sheds and the now stabilized sand house behind.

EBT yard edge

This summer the entire car sop will be getting a new roof. This will happen during the work week in May. Still lots of time to sign up and volenteer! Visit the FEBT webiste for more info on joining the fun: FEBT Website

Excellent. Any word or rumors or hints or opinions on when the train excursions will continue?

Nice to see folks still working on the buildings and to see some shots of the insides of the buildings… Was there a few years ago, when they were getting ready to move some engines around in the engine shop, and a couple of the bay doors were open…

@ Randy - Nice shots and good work to help preservation efforts.

@Ken - the best reply I can give to your question is to read this thread on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum.

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,282845

Based on this, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Nice shots Randy - and thanks for your efforts and the rest of the volunteers. I would really like to help out but its just a bit too far away for me. Since I cant make it in person, I send some of my dollars when I can.

FEBT Member #1982

Well the feeling I got while I was there was that nobody is holding their breath and it won’t be tomorrow, BUT none of us are giving up. The railroad has slept before, and it sleps now. 14 has some time, and 15 can run again with some investment. There is a ton of presevation work being done including a rebuild of combine 14. It will be able to open without problem when the time comes. What do they need? Money. Guys, play the lottery.

Bob, good link. We watched that video while we were out there.

Must have missed yours while I was typing John. That’s very good of you. Believe me, it goes to good use. FEBT member #8887

One more bit of good news I forgot in my original post. The Timber Transfer is coming back. A new editing and publishing company has been procured and the first new issue is already in the oven cooking. Very much looking forward to these.

I was out for my second work weekend April 11th and 12th. The weather is much more cooperative now and we didn’t even get any rain the whole weekend. First thing on Saturday it was all hands on deck to clear the scrap wood pile that is no longer needed to start the locos. There were two crews, each with their own track car, and we loaded them and pushed them to the dumpster. It took us till lunch to fill the dumpster and we will need one more to finish. Probably the highlight of my weekend was when we finished and someone said the cart would need taken back to the paint shop. I quickly volunteered and pushed it all the way back to the switch for the paint shop lead. I threw the switch and began to push forward noticing how easy it got. Sweet, a down grade all the way to the paint shop! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)I hoped on and went for my very first ride on the rails of the EBT. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

EBT Trash clean up

Combine #14 continues to under go faithful restoration in the paint shop. Like all of our projects progress is slow but steady.

EBT coach 14 resto

Prep was done Saturday afternoon and a boom truck was borrowed from the trolley museum early on Sunday. When the truck arrived, it removed the old failing door of the locomotive shop and replaced it with a temporary while the original is rebuilt.

EBT loco shop temp door

My crew worked on rebuilding window frames for the black smith shop. We installed new bottom sills in to the original frames, then reinstalled the frames back in the shop. It was a real pity to have to put OSB back up over them since we didn’t have any chicken wire to put up as rock guard. All the same, there are good things happening.

EBT Back smith shop painting

EBT Black Smith new windows

I got to have an after work session adventure Saturday night, which was another highlight. I went to Robertsdale and walked the whole distance from Mine #1 to the fist switch of the yard. Along the way I made sure to find each switch. I had to dig several up to find the points. I did this so I will know which were stubs and which were points for my Layout. What a great experience even if my legs got cut up by some jaggers.

Next session May 16th - 17th

Thanks for posting the photos.

I’ve never been there when it was open.

So the photos are much appreciated.

Ralph

Great work Randy! The Blacksmith shop is looking real good. Wish I could have been there with you exploring Robertsdale. I’ve never done the tour even though I had the chance during several reunions.

Great pics and post!

Glad to post it Guys. I figure maybe I can motivate someone else to come join the fun by posting it, if not just keep people talking about it anyway.

John, You’re not too far away from there, we could meet up some time and do some exploring. It’s far from gone, just not in the best shape. I’d like to attend the reunion this year too.

I’m about 5 hours away from Rockhill Furnace. We made every reunion from 2001 through 2012 I think. I missed 12’s last run by one year and saw 14’s. Gas prices and job changes put a stop to that. Ric and his crew stop on the way to ECLEST every year. Maybe we should plan to join them next year. If not too cold, early spring is the best time to explore.

This was the most exciting weekend yet, with regard to how much is actually being accomplished to keep the EBT alive. This weekend kicks off a work week, which will hopefully finish a large project you’ll see below. This session started the same as the last with all hands on deck to finish up removal of the scrap wood pile. Another dumpster filled, and another sweaty dirty morning at the EBT.

Clean Up

The work weeks big project is to replace the north side of the car shop roof. The tin was in horrible shape and the wood to soft to hold the nails restraining the tin. By the end of the weekend the scaffolding had been raised and the tin striped on the first section. Sure hope things are going well out there right now.

Roof Removal

Also back in that same area the Loco Shop door project is moving right along. The frame has been gone over and new tongue and grove has received paint before the planks are put together and installed on the reconditioned frame.

Loco Shop Dooor Frame

This weekend we had a few wet moments as some brief but fairly heavy rain rolled through.

Rain Delay

I spent my time bouncing between the blacksmith shop where we were continuing work on the windows and the foundry where we began prepping for jacking the building up. In the first shot you can see how good things are looking with new window frames and a few false window sashes until the old ones are finished with repair.

Window Blanks Installed

Here are some jacking Lugs I built. We made several of these and are attaching them to the main wall beams to lift the building.

Jacking Lugs

This shows them installed. We also have to pull the walls together so cables are being run around the lugs too. You can see one around the center lug. Things should get fun at the next session.

Attached Lugs

A finally, another treat. I was able to get a brief visit inside the round house! My first time ever seeing the locomotives in person. A truly transcendent experience. They are all waiting patiently for their time to once again cause a ripple in the waters of Aughwick Creek. In the photo below Millie slumbers.

Millie Sleeps

Nice, Randy… Thanks for sharing…

No problem at all Andy. I plan to share some most every month. You know when I first Signed up this last October, I thought I’d do 2 maybe 3 work sessions. I’ve just finished my 3rd and I can’t wait for the next.

Working in, on, with the real things really has its rewards. Lots of dirty, hard work, but we keep going back.

Anyone out there with some time to share with a local train preservation group, seriously need to look into helping out with a work session with one of these groups. Even if it’s just one day or so. Any one that will be visiting SW Colorado this summer is more then welcome to join in on one or more of our (Durango Railroad Historical Sociality ) work sessions.

Not sure if this picture from Facebook will post here or not; View from above of FEBT’s progress on replacing the Car Shop roof. I’m sure it was needed and will help keep the building standing; but as more and more gets replaced the place is loosing it’s ‘forgotten in time’ look. The new tin needs weathering (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Gee, let me at it with a few pallets full of rattle cans, and it will have that look again in no time. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)