Large Scale Central

Early diesels of the 30's and 40's

No, I am humbled! THat is some amazing work. Now I’ll go hide!

Very cool! Always impressed with the work of the people that gather here.

This is what makes this so much fun, to see the rolling artwork like these, and the buildings that are inspiration for us that can barely glue a flat sheet onto a flat sheet. Awesome work

See, this is why I don’t show my stuff here. Compared to this, my stuff is just a lump of plastic and glue.

That is amazing, Norman. Bravo Zulu.

Steve, but if you recognize that, then you can get better. Its the folks who put stuff like you described together, and think its on par with these gems, who are hopeless. Not naming names, but I personally know 2 of those hopeless kind.

David Maynard said:

Steve, but if you recognize that, then you can get better. Its the folks who put stuff like you described together, and think its on par with these gems, who are hopeless. Not naming names, but I personally know 2 of those hopeless kind.

You and who else Maynard …the suspense is killing me?

Rooster, I don’t make blobs, but I also don’t make jewels like these. There is a member of the NMRA group I belong to, who built some craftsman kits and brought them to the one show. He bragged that he put together the one building in just one night. Yea, it looked like it too. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Hi guys,

thanks for the nice comments - however, the models shouldn’t have fired any trouble here. My models are really rough and from humble quality if I compare with most of the work over here or especially in the live-steam hobby (5" & 7 1/4"). Most important point is that you’re satisfied with what you have achieved - and setting a slightly higher level each new project.

Said this, here’s my current locomotive project - a late Rock Island TA (mid 50’s). Main modifications in comparison to the delivered design are removela of the trucks’s skirts, a fixed front coupler applied, additional air intake scoops on the roof and a modified / simplified paint scheme (the latter will become significant in the far future).

As a starting poin t I used an Aristo FA (a basket case from eb…)

Here the modified front is applied (styrene subconstruction - was coverd with glassfibers&resin later on

Current status

The TA is very close to Greg’s favoured Santa Fe E1…after proving that such a nose modification isn’t that difficult I may tackle this next (and yes, an ALCO DL 109 is on my ‘wish-list’, too).

Already have built a fitting lightweight baggage maiil express car (ACF, 1956) for the TA

Regards

Norman

Those are some beautiful models Norman . You’re skills are amazing .

It is really neat to see the work you are doing!

Since I run steam it is fun to see these because the time period I model is right at that point where diesel was coming in. I think the mid 30s is an interesting period.

Keep up the great work!

WOW, I started an E5 project years ago, but ended up shelving it because the nose just kept coming out wrong. The one on your model is just great.

Really nice work Norman. Sorry I’m late to the accolades group, I don’t know how I missed this thread (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Familiar with the Rock Island unit and following along!!!

Nice work!!!

Those streamlined slant-nosed diesels had charisma.

I also like the long nose early diesels. Robert Thom(Robert’s Lines) has some aluminum castings of the E-1A1. They are big and heavy and come to you rough, so will take a lot of work. Just got mine, so it looks like the silver ones in this picture.

I hope to get it like this. Metal is thick, so not sure about any screens.

Can’t wait to see your’s too Jerry. You are an excellent modeler. A nice winter project. They are incredibly neat. But I don’t know much about them. Norm, what you’ve done is incredible already. Puts what little I can do in a bucket. Keep them coming guys!

I can’t find any way to see if there’s anything available from the Robert’s lines. Is there a store or does someone carry them?

Norman Schaake said:

Already have built a fitting lightweight baggage maiil express car (ACF, 1956) for the TA

Regards

Norman

did you make this car? It looks great!

Hi Joe,

The baggage mail express was built by splicing two of the smaller USA-Trains box cars (those with separate steps instead of ladders on the right hand side of the bigger box cars) together. After a lot of sanding and application of the baggage doors I added small strene strips to simulate the welding lines.

The trucks are modified LGB streamliner trucks having the correct wheel base (much shorter than those used on USA-Trains streamliners).

Pictures of these cars are available on the ‘passenger car photo index’

@Jerry

Good luck with your E1 / EA-diesel - the thickness of the shell it will be a demanding task to integrate some side screens. Looking forward for some progress shots of your work.

The pictures of the finished units look ok - however, the trucks’ design seems a bit too simplified and rough spoiling the overall impression a bit

Regards

Norman

Good job Norman and very creative to splice those cars like that.

I’m using Aristo E-8 trucks and side frames on the E-1 and LOWERING it a lot, so should work out. Will use Nahsua metal duct tape on it to make it shiny. Will emboss rivets on the seams. May look at doing the grills that way if my other plan does not work out. It’s smoothed down and primered now anyway. Stan and I designed the decals, that long slope on the nose made it a challenge.